Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

欢迎访问本站。游客仅能浏览首页新闻、版块主题、维基条目与资源信息,需登录后方可获得内容发布、话题讨论、维基编辑与资源下载等权限。若无账号请先完成注册流程。
 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [译]马格努斯档案馆#51 高压, 马格努斯档案馆本次讲述一位打捞者深入“大西洋墓地”的故事,她在海洋深处遭遇了意想不到的事件…
贝克的小号
2022-08-10, 18:31
Post #1


名为赞福德的弹道学凝胶假人
Group Icon
 347
   62

Group: Avatar
Posts: 97
Joined: 2022-03-18
Member No.: 97525


马格努斯051 - 档案号 #0080701 - 安东尼娅·海莉

讲述其于2006年8月在新斯科舍塞布尔岛某次深潜的经历。

马格努斯档案馆本次讲述一位打捞者深入“大西洋墓地”的故事,她在海洋深处遭遇了意想不到的事件…

Attached Image
Art by @serhawke

档案员 - 乔纳森·西姆斯;非!萨沙 - 伊芙琳·休伊特
作者:乔纳森·西姆斯
导演:亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔
编辑:亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔,迈克·勒博
翻译/字幕:赞福德Zaphod(贝克的小号)


二楼附文字版

This post has been edited by 贝克的小号: 2022-11-26, 15:58
TOP
贝克的小号
2022-08-10, 18:32
Post #2


名为赞福德的弹道学凝胶假人
Group Icon
 347
   62

Group: Avatar
Posts: 97
Joined: 2022-03-18
Member No.: 97525


[CLICK]
[按钮声]
ARCHIVIST
档案员
Statement of Antonia Haley, regarding a deep dive
that took place near Sable Island, Nova Scotia in August 2006.
安东尼娅·海莉的叙述,讲述其于2006年8月在新斯科舍塞布尔岛某次深潜的经历。
Original statement given January 7th, 2008.
原叙述时间:2008年1月7日。
Audio recording by Jonathan Sims,
Head Archivist of the Magnus Institute, London.
语音录入:乔纳森·西姆斯,伦敦马格努斯研究院档案馆馆长。

Statement begins.
叙述开始。

ARCHIVIST (STATEMENT)
档案员(叙述)
I should be dead, really.
我应该已经是个死人才对,真的。
It’s a weird feeling.
这种感觉太诡异了。
You ever had a near-death experience?
你有没有过濒死经历?
I’ve had a few.
我有过几次。
They’re not uncommon in my line of work, but this… it feels different.
濒死经历在我们这行并不少见,但这次…感觉与以往不同。
It’s not that I put myself in danger and
managed not to die – I should be dead.
我这次并不是凭实力脱险,我本应该已经死了。
Decompression sickness that severe is almost
never survivable, and I should have had an embolism.
那么严重的潜水病通常是会要命的,我的血管中应该有栓塞才对。
(潜水病,又称减压病,指从潜水箱(沉箱)的高气压条件急剧地回到常压的地面时所引起的障碍。 原来溶解于体液中的氮气由于气压的变动迅速地变为气泡,引起栓塞)
The fact that I didn’t? Blind luck.
我为什么没有症状?纯属运气好而已。
It’s hard to reconcile yourself with avoiding
a death that you feel should have been yours.
逃脱必死的命运后,真的很难跟自己和解。
If there’d been others with me who didn’t make it,
if I could write it off as survivor’s guilt,
如果有同伴不幸遇难,我还可以将这种感觉定性为幸存者的负罪感,
but…
但是…
I was alone.
当时我是独自一人。
Do you ever get that?
你能体会这种感觉吗?
Of course you don’t, sorry.
你当然没法体会,抱歉。

Anyway, I’m not here to talk about the bends.
总而言之,我来这儿不是为了讨论减压病的。
I’m a diver, both by nature and by trade.
我是个潜水员,这是我的天性,也是我的职业。
I grew up in Halifax, Nova Scotia,
and was swimming almost before I was walking.
我在新斯科舍省哈利法克斯区长大,还不会走路时就会游泳了。
I did my first scuba dive at eight years old.
我8岁时第一次潜水。
It was barely deeper than a swimming pool,
but it was enough to instill a lifelong passion for it.
潜水的深度将将超过游泳池而已,但却点燃了我一生的热情。
I got fully qualified as soon as I was legally able, and almost flunked out
of college because I was always running off to some dive or other.
我一到年龄就考了潜水证,每天到处潜水,差点被大学开除。
I must have missed more classes than I went to by the end.
最后我缺的课肯定是比上的课还多。
I scraped by, but as it turned out, even if I hadn’t,
it wouldn’t have mattered too much,
最后我擦线成功毕业,结果后来发现,就算没毕业后果也不会很严重,
as it wasn’t my psychology major that got me my first job after graduation.
因为毕业后的第一份工作不是我的心理学学位挣来的。
It was diving.
而是潜水。

I worked at a marine salvage company
based off the coast of Nova Scotia.
我在新斯科舍省海岸线附近一家海上打捞公司工作。
You’ll forgive me if I don’t give their name;
I still hold out hope I might go back to work there someday,
很抱歉,我不会说出公司的名字,因为我希望有朝一日还能回去工作,
and I’d feel like an asshole dragging their name through the mud,
要是把他们拖进泥坑里,我不成了混蛋了,
even if it is just to you and your “strict confidentiality procedures.”
就算只把名字告诉你,就算你们有“严格的保密措施”也不行。
If you’re desperate, they shouldn’t be hard to identify,
but it’s not really relevant to what happened.
如果你真的特别想知道,应该不难查到,不过他们真的和事件没关系。

You ever heard of “the Graveyard of the Atlantic?”
你听说过“大西洋墓地”吗?
(加拿大新斯科舍省哈利法克斯东部的塞布尔岛
及美国北卡罗来纳州外部海岸区域
因常发生船只失事事件,均有“大西洋墓地”之称)
Probably not, and it’s a confusing name anyway,
你大概没听说过,而且这名字本来起的就模糊不清,
since it actually refers to two distinct locations along the eastern
coast of North America, both notorious hotspots for shipwrecks.
因为所谓墓地指的是北美洲东海岸两个不同的地点,二者都因船只事故多发而闻名。
In this case, I’m talking about the one off Sable Island, in Nova Scotia.
关于这次事件,我指的是新斯科舍东边的塞布尔岛。
The waters there are some of the roughest,
where the Gulf Stream hits the Labrador Current,
墨西哥湾流和拉布拉多洋流在那里相遇,因此那片水域极为凶险,
and depending on which historical records you believe, there could
be anything from four to six hundred shipwrecks down there.
根绝不同的历史文献记载,那里发生过四到六百次沉船事故。
And that’s only from when the European settlers first arrived.
而这个数字是欧洲定居者到达后才开始记录的。

Normally, it’s not the sort of place where we would accept jobs.
通常,我们不接这种地方的活儿。
It’s too dangerous to send a salvage crew in
when the water’s that unpredictable.
在这种不可捉摸的水域派遣打捞小队下水太过危险。
But this time was different.
但这次不一样。
Maybe the old man was just a real sweet talker
也许是那个老头巧舌如簧
– or maybe he swept the captain, a leathery old cuss by the name of Morten Kemp,
just enough extra under the table that he fudged the location on the release forms.
也可能他给莫滕·坎普船长那个老油条塞了足够多的钱,让他批准了这次行动。
Either way, word came down that we were doing a dive off Sable Island.
不论原因如何,我们听说这次要在塞布尔岛潜水。

None of that was to say the captain was stupid about it.
我说了这么多,可并不是想说船长办了傻事。
We kept a very close eye on the meteorological reports,
我们一直紧密关注气象报告,
and only headed into the Graveyard when we were certain
we’d have a window of relatively calm seas to do it.
直到确定这片海域短时间内都将保持平静后,才敢前往墓地。
It helped that the job was relatively simple.
好在这项工作比较简单。
The old man, Simon Fairchild, had come to us
那个名叫西蒙·费尔柴尔德的老头找到我们,
claiming that he had pinpointed the location he believed his great-grandfather’s sailing yacht had been sunk almost a hundred and twenty years ago,
说他找到了他曾祖父110多年前沉没的游艇的准确地点,
and he was keen to retrieve any heirlooms or curios he could from it.
他很想取回里面的古董传家宝。
The only thing interesting or unusual about his story was the
amount of money he was willing to throw around to back it up.
他的故事只有一点与众不同、引人入胜,那就是他愿意为了这个故事一掷千金。
It was certainly enough to get us dropping anchor a hundred miles
from the coast on a hot sunny morning at the end of August.
这笔钱足以让我们在八月末火热的上午驱船驶离海岸一百多英里停锚打捞。

The journey out had been a bit subdued.
航行波澜不惊,平淡无奇。
Normally, me and Julio Hernandez, the other diver on the crew,
would spend our time chatting, playing cards,
通常,我和团队的另一个潜水员,胡里奥·埃尔南德斯会一起聊天打牌,
and once even screwing, though we generally don’t talk about that.
有一次甚至睡到了一起,不过我们一般不提这事。
This time, we had to babysit Mr. Fairchild,
who had stubbornly insisted that he make the journey with us.
这次,我们却不得不照料费尔柴尔德先生,因为他固执地坚持要和我们同往。

Again, this wouldn’t normally have been an option,
but the guy was not shy about throwing his money around.
是的,一般情况下这是不允许的,但这家伙花钱如流水一点都不含糊。
He must have been pushing a hundred years old, just a tiny
pink skeleton of a man, sat in the corner watching us the whole trip.
他瘦得皮包骨头,只剩一副粉色皮囊,看起来快一百岁了,全程坐在角落盯着我们。
It was hard to get any sort of friendly chat going
with him perched there like some sort of vulture.
他像秃鹰一样坐在旁边,我们实在是没法聊天。
I tried to talk to him a few times, but he only seemed interested in
discussing this shipwreck and how preserved I thought everything might be.
我试着跟他搭话,可他张嘴闭嘴只说沉船的事,还问我觉得船的保存情况如何。
I told him I had no idea, as it really wasn’t my area – I was just the diver.
我告诉他我不知道,隔行如隔山,我只是个潜水员。
He didn’t say much to me after that.
后来他没再怎么跟我说过话。

When we hit the graveyard, the sea was almost completely still,
我们抵达墓地时,海面几乎一平如镜,
far more so than I would have expected, even
given the weather predictions we’d been working on.
虽然一直在关注天气预报,我远没想到现场情况竟是这样。
It didn’t strike me as odd at the time,
just an unexpected bit of help with the job.
当时我并没感到奇怪,只是觉得这对工作意外的利好。
Initial checks managed to locate a wreck that seemed to
match the old man’s description, a steam yacht circa 1890.
初步勘探后,我们找到了一艘1890年左右的蒸汽游艇的残骸,与老头描述相符。
It seemed to be in surprisingly good shape,
船只保存情况好得惊人,
and, in the camera’s torchlight,
we could just about make out the name: the Maria Fairchild.
我们借助摄像机的灯光勉强看清了船的名字:玛莉亚·费尔柴尔德号。
The old man was practically dancing with joy,
and I was genuinely concerned he might give himself a heart attack.
老头高兴得手舞足蹈,我简直担心他会犯心脏病。

We suited up and prepared to go under.
我们穿好潜水服,准备下水。
The wreck was at a depth of a hundred and sixty feet,
which meant we’d be in a high-pressure environment,
沉船大概位于160英尺深处,这已经是高压区域,
(约48.76米)
but we shouldn’t need hypoxic gas or
full-pressure suits, which was something of a relief.
但我们还用不上低浓度氧气瓶和全压潜水服,这多少是种宽慰。
(低浓度氧气瓶:潜水深度超过57米后,潜水员需要使用
氧气浓度低于16%的氧气瓶才能继续下潜,在浅水区域使
用低浓度氧气瓶,可能造成瞬间休克。进行深潜时,需先
使用高浓度氧气瓶,下潜至安全深度后再换为低浓度氧气瓶
返回时需逐渐增加氧气浓度,上浮至6米深度时,氧气浓度
通常需达到100%)
Julio made his prayers, Captain Kemp gave us
a stern nod, and into the water we went.
胡里奥做完祈祷,坎普船长冲我们坚定地点点头,我们下水了。

As I went in I thought I heard Simon, the old man,
shout after me, but I couldn’t make it out.
下水时,我听到西蒙那个老头在我身后喊了一句什么,但是没听真切。

And then the world was nothing but silent blue.
接着世界只剩下一片寂静的蔚蓝。
I had expected the water to be warmer, given the temperature on the surface,
从海面上的温度来看,我本以为水温会更高一些,
but the chill hit me all at once, and it took a moment to get to grips with it.
可下水后却被激了个透心凉,过了一会儿才适应。
I saw Julio next to me, a few yards away,
and with a thumbs up we began to dive down towards the sunken boat.
我看到胡里奥就在我身边几码的地方,我们互相比了个手势,开始朝沉船下潜。
(此处原文为竖起大拇指,但在潜水时这是表示需要上浮的手势,故略过不译)

Most people don’t appreciate how quickly it gets dark underwater.
大部分人根本不知道下水之后亮度下降有多快。
You don’t need to be nearly as deep as you think
before the sun is just the faintest change in the water hues.
不用潜多深,就只有在不同深浅的碧蓝水波中才能找到阳光的踪迹。
If you’re not careful, it’s easy to forget which way is up,
and become lost in the murky depths.
不够小心的话,很容易迷失方向分不清上下,最后困在黑暗的深水中。
But Julio and I were a well-practiced team, and we weren’t going so
far down for us to face any darkness that our torches couldn’t handle.
但我和胡里奥搭档行动,经验丰富,不会下潜到我们的灯光无法照亮的深度。

It was during that descent, when I saw that our two points
of light were the only signs of movement down there,
在水中我发现这里的大海完全静止,只有属于我们的两束灯光在缓缓下潜,
that I noticed the absence of life.
然后我注意到,这里丝毫没有生命迹象。
I wasn’t particularly worried by this – if anything I was rather relieved.
对此我并没感到担心,反而感到有些宽慰。
Anyone who’s been diving more than a few years will be able to
tell you of at least one close call with a shark, and I’d had two so far,
任何一个有过几年潜水经验的人,肯定都有过差点被鲨鱼吃掉的经历,我则有过两次,
so the less movement the better, as far as I was concerned.
所以我琢磨着,动静越少越好 。
Still, it was a surprise that we haven’t seen even
a single school of fish on our journey to the sea floor,
不过,我还是没想到下潜到海床的途中竟然连一群鱼都没遇到,
and once we were down there it was just as lifeless.
触底之后,也完全见不到任何活物。
I gestured my confusion to Julio, but he just shrugged,
and started over towards the wreck.
我用手势向胡里奥表达我的疑惑,但他只是耸耸肩,开始朝沉船前进。

Down there, deep below the surface, I find myself
sometimes entering an almost… meditative state.
在水下深处,我有时候会进入一种宛如…冥想的状态。
You can feel the weight of the world, a world you were never
meant to be part of, pressing in on you from all directions;
这是一个不属于你的世界,而你能感到这个世界的重量从四面八方向你压来,
and the constant overpowering awareness of your own breathing,
并且你会持续不断、无比真切地感受自己的呼吸,
of how little there is between you and the very space
around you that is completely hostile to your existence.
以及挡在你和这个对你充满敌意的环境之间,那一层微薄的屏障。

The danger is real, as is the faint, hardened fear in your gut,
危险是毋庸置疑的,你的体内深处会泛起一种缥缈,却又不断加深的恐惧,
but I’ve always found that it sometimes put me in a state not too
unlike how it feels staring into the flames of a fire – hypnotic.
但这有时却会对我产生一种催眠的效果,有点像盯着跳动的火焰时的那种感觉。
My mind cleared of all thoughts but the dull, pulsing rush of adrenaline.
我的思绪一扫而空,只剩下单调、跃动的肾上腺素。

That feeling was so strong here that I almost
swam past the Maria Fairchild completely.
这感觉太过强烈,我差点从玛莉亚·费尔柴尔德号旁边游过去了。
Julio was already inside, and I quickly located a
large enough tear in the hull and made my own entrance.
胡里奥已经到船里了,很快我也在船体上找到了一个足够大的裂缝,进入到内部。
The yacht was bigger than I had thought when viewing it
from the boat, but the layout was not complicated,
相比我在海面上观测时的估算,游艇实际上更大一些,但布局并不复杂,
and we already had quite a good idea about where would be best to
look for the sort of antiques and sentimental treasures that Simon wanted.
我们也想好了大概要去哪里寻找西蒙心心念念的古董和传家宝。
Julio had taken the bedroom, so I started on the bridge.
胡里奥去搜索卧房,于是我便从舰桥着手查找。

It was certainly an impressive sight – a late 19th century steam yacht,
这艘19世纪末期的蒸汽游艇确实可以用惊艳形容,
slightly decayed from its time on the ocean floor but,
all-in-all, astoundingly well-preserved.
虽然沉没海底的日子让它略生锈迹,但总体上,这艘船的状态出乎意料的好。
I looked over the chair and the various panels and controls, but could
find nothing which could be classed as an easily-removable heirloom
我把座椅和各式操作面板查了个遍,却没找到任何能轻易卸下的传家宝,
– although I did make a mental note of which bits of the bridge
were well-enough preserved they might be worth removing.
不过我暗暗记住了舰桥上下保存状况良好,有拆除价值的物件。
It would need more equipment than we had with us,
我们本次下潜携带的设备不足以拆除这些东西,
but I could suggest it to Simon if we returned empty-handed.
不过如果真的空手而归,我可以把这个点子告诉西蒙。
I checked in on Julio, but he was still busy ransacking the bedroom,
so I decided to do a sweep at the engine room.
我想和胡里奥碰一碰,但他还忙着在卧室里乱翻,于是我决定去引擎室扫一圈。
It was there I found the hole.
破洞就是在那里找到的。

It was large, maybe seven feet in diameter, not unlike
the one I had used to get into the wreck in the first place.
那破洞很大,直径大概有7英尺,跟我钻进来时的那个洞差不多。
(约2.13米)
There was something about it that immediately put me on edge.
不知怎的,那破洞立刻便让我感到神经紧绷。
The shape was too regular somehow, the water outside it was… too dark.
破洞的形状太规矩了,外面的海水也…太过漆黑。
And it took me a few seconds to notice this, but the direction of
the tearing seemed to indicate it had been made from the inside out.
我过了几秒钟才发现,从裂缝的方向上看,这个洞是从里向外打开的。

I dropped the rusted wrench I had been examining and let it
float slowly towards the floor as I made my way to the hole.
我放下刚才还在查看的生锈扳手,任其缓缓下沉,然后游到洞口观察。
I gripped to the side, and looked through.
我抓住洞边,看向洞的另一侧。

As soon as I put my head through, I felt a change wash over me.
把头伸出去的刹那,我感到周身发生了一阵激烈的变化。
The pressure increased all at once, becoming so intense
that I screamed in surprise and pain, as my head erupted in agony.
压力突然暴增,我又惊又痛,感觉头都要炸了,忍不住大声尖叫起来。
The pressure was upon my whole body now, and I was finding it
hard to move with the crushing weight on every part of me.
这时压力已袭遍全身,全身上下都承受着足以将人压垮的重量,使我几乎动弹不得。
My eyes bulged as I stared forward, and I saw two things.
我用肿胀的双眼望向前方,发现两件事情。

The first was that below the hole there was no seafloor, just a deep and
endless expanse of empty water, as though the boat were on a cliff edge.
第一,破洞外面看不到海床,只有深不见底的海水,仿佛这艘船沉在悬崖边缘一样。

The second was that it was far, far too dark.
第二则是,外面的水域,实在是太过黑暗。
The deepest that humans can survive in the ocean is the mesopelagic zone,
which begins roughly six hundred and fifty feet below the surface.
人类在海底能存活的最大深度,是水面以下约650英尺的中层带。
(中层带也被称作中层浮游区或黄昏区。这一区域处于海平面下200米至1000米的位置)
It is colloquially known, among oceanographers, as the Twilight Zone,
as it is the level where only the faintest of light penetrates from the sun,
海洋地理学家也将其称为暮光地带,这里只剩下最为微弱的阳光,
and the water can only be seen in the many shades of darkness.
而海水则已是不同程度的黑色。
Down that far, any glow that makes it is so diffused as
to be utterly useless in determining which way is up.
在这个深度,任何光照都会快速向四周扩散,根本无法用来辨别方向。
But as I stared out in terror, I was absolutely sure that there was no up.
但当我在恐惧中向外凝望时,我深知,根本没有向上的路。
That I could swim as far as I liked – there would never be anything but water.
不管哪个方向,不管游多远也好,这个世界只剩下无尽的海水。
Then I saw it.
然后,我看见了。

It was only a shadow in the dark, but it was there.
那只是黑暗中的一道阴影,但它确实就在外面。
And it was huge.
那是一道庞大的阴影。
It stretched from one side of my vision to the other, and as I fought against
the pressure to turn my aching head, I still couldn’t see the end of it.
它占据了我的全部视野,我顶住压力痛苦地转动脖子,却还是看不到它的边界。
Only its blurred outline was slightly better-contrasted against
the lighter shade of the twilight water that surrounded it.
它模糊的轮廓比暮光地带的海水更暗一些,仅此而已。
I could not see the ends of it.
我看不到它的尽头。
It was so big it made me lightheaded to think about it,
to try and place myself in some believable scale against it.
它太大了,思考这一概念,将自己与其进行规模上的比较,都让我感到头重脚轻。

I think it was a hand, but I could not see enough to be sure.
我觉得那好像是一只手,但这无异于管中窥豹。
Then it moved, slowly but clearly, and I realized how far away it still was,
然后那只手动了起来,它动作缓慢,但千真万确是在动,我这才意识到它离我还很远,
as it got bigger and bigger and bigger,
and I could see nothing else, and I screamed.
然后它越变越大、越变越大…最后彻底占据了我眼前的一切,我又尖叫起来。

It was the jagged metal of the hole itself that saved me in the end.
最后,是破洞边缘尖锐的金属板救了我。
As I cried out in horror, I felt the sharp edges of it
digging into my hands as they gripped it,
我在惊恐中狂嚎时,突然感到锐利的金属插进了我紧握的双手,
and the unexpected burst of pain snapped me
out of whatever it was that held me in place.
突然袭来的疼痛让我脱离了之前呆若木鸡的状态。
With a surge of strength, I pushed myself back
into the boat, and I felt the pressure lift all at once.
体内爆发出一股力量,我把自己推回到船里,身上的压力瞬间随之消失。
Of course, this brought its own set of problems, but I didn’t care.
当然,压力消失也产生了相应的后果,但我不在乎。
The lightheadedness was already setting in, and my vision was blurry
我已经开始感到头晕,视线也变得模糊
when I swam out of the sunken ship and headed towards
the surface at full speed, ignoring all decompression procedures.
我置所有减压措施于不顾,全速离开沉船,向水面游去。
I blacked out thirty feet from the surface.
离水面还有30英尺时,我陷入了昏迷。
(约9.14米)
I have vague memories of the trip back: fading in and
out of consciousness, feeling the worst I have ever felt in my life.
我依稀记得回程中我反复陷入昏迷,那真是这辈子最痛苦的经历。
Then I recall a helicopter, shouting, and finally waking up fully in a hospital bed.
然后我记得来了一架直升机,周围的人叫嚷着,最后我在医院病床上醒来。
Captain Kemp was there, and he immediately laid into me,
坎普在我床边,看我醒来,他立刻向我发作,
calling me all sorts of horrendous names before
informing me exactly how serious my condition had been,
说了很多非常难听的话,然后才告诉我,我的情况有多严重,
and how lucky I was to be alive.
我能活下来纯属走运。
I should be dead, he told me. And I know he was right.
我本该丧命的,他告诉我。我知道,他说的是事实。

I left the company soon afterwards.
不久之后我就离开了公司。
I still plan to go back someday, but it’ll be a while
longer before I’m comfortable in the water again.
我依然想回去,但恐怕要等很久之后我才敢再次下水。
Julio never came to visit me in-hospital, and I was unable
to get in contact with him after I was discharged.
胡里奥一直没来医院看我,我被开除后也没联系到他。
I hope he’s all right.
希望他没事。

I did ask Captain Kemp what happened to the job after I left,
as I also hadn’t seen the old man since that morning.
那天之后我再没见过那个老头,我向坎普船长问起过,我走之后,那一票干得怎么样。
The captain got a strange look in his eyes then, and gazed
out of the window with a scowl I had never seen on his face before.
船长的目光突然间变得很陌生,他盯着窗外,脸上苦涩的表情是我从没见过的。
“The sea is a dangerous place,” he said, and walked away.
“大海是个危险的地方,”他说道,然后便离开了。

ARCHIVIST
档案员
Statement ends.
叙述结束。

No real follow-up can be made to this statement,
as it all took place in Canadian territory.
我们无法对这份叙述进行有意义的追查,因为事件发生在加拿大。
We don’t have the contacts over there that we do here.
我们在那边的线人资源不比这边。
Not to mention that what little I could glean appears to be a mass of overlapping and conflicting police, coast guard, and port authority reports.
更别提我能搞到的,只有互相重复,充满矛盾的警方、海岸救援和港口当局的报告。
We could spend years trying to unravel this one case,
if we had a mind to – and I for one do not.
如果下定决心的话,花上几年时间还是能查清楚的,但我可没这个心思。

We weren’t even able to glean sufficient information to track down any
of those mentioned in the statement aside from Captain Morten Kemp,
我们缺乏线索,甚至没能查到叙述中涉及人物的下落,除了莫滕·坎普船长,
who now runs boat tours near Winnipeg, and declined
to comment on it in the strongest possible terms.
他现在在温尼伯搞游船旅行,并用极其激烈的言辞拒绝对此事发表评论。

Instead, I will focus on Simon Fairchild,
然而,我想重点关注一下西蒙·费尔柴尔德,
who I recall may have come up in Case 0022010, along with a young woman.
我记得他好像在0022010号档案中出现过,事件中还涉及一名年轻女性。
I may have encountered Fairchild before,
or it may just be a coincidence of names.
我之前可能见到过费尔柴尔德这个名字,不过也可能是巧合。
One of my first cases as a researcher for the Institute in 2012
那是2012年,我刚成为本院研究员时,经手的一个事件
was looking into the history of a jewelers’ in Hackney
that had reported cases becoming cracked in the night.
哈克尼的一个珠宝商说,店里的珠宝盒会在深夜莫名开裂,我负责事件背景调查。

Nothing was ever taken, but each morning it would
be like a heavy weight had been dropped upon them.
珠宝没有失窃,但每天早上珠宝盒看起来就像被重物砸过一样。
Looking into it, it turned out that the jewels had, in the 1930s, belonged to a
con artist and fence who had attracted the displeasure of the local population.
调查之后我发现,那些珠宝原本的主人是个倒卖赃物的骗子,1930年代,他惹了众怒,
When one particularly irate customer threw him out
of a fourth floor window into a crowded street at midday,
一位顾客盛怒之下把他从四楼扔出,摔向楼下的人流之中,
no one claimed to have seen anything.
当时虽然是白天,却没人看到他摔落。
A minor possible haunting, with a decidedly pedestrian backstory,
这也许是个不怎么严重的闹鬼事件吧,背景故事也十分潦草,
but notable because, while I was never able to
discover the original name of the con artist,
但值得注意的是,虽然我无法查到这个骗子的真名,
one of his many, many aliases was Simon Fairchild,
但我知道他使用过的众多假名中包括西蒙·费尔柴尔德,
and it appeared on several business listings around the time.
这个名字当时也在多家企业中出现过。

Whether it’s a coincidence or not is something
of a moot point at this stage, however.
不过时到今日,这到底是不是巧合已经没有意义了。
A cursory bit of research reveals the Fairchilds in question
to be an exceptionally wealthy family based down in Cornwall.
一番粗略的调查之后,我们得知这里提到的费尔柴尔德家族是康沃尔的巨富。
No real business to speak of, but it appears they’ve invested very wisely
他们没有经营任何企业,但似乎在多个领域进行了多项明智的投资
in aerospace technology, shipping logistics,
and underwater drilling and construction.
包括航空航天技术、航运物流、水下钻探和施工。

Whatever their origin, I feel it’s worth keeping an eye on them.
不管他们有什么来头,我觉得有必要对其加以留意。

End recording.
录音结束。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

ARCHIVIST
档案员
Supplemental.
补充说明。

I had a strange conversation with Sasha earlier today.
今天早些时候,我和萨沙之间有过一段有些奇怪的交谈。
I have been… doing some research into her, but there’s
little to go on, save that she worked in Artefact Storage.
我最近…对她进行过一些调查,但是没有什么线索,只知道她在文物储藏室工作过。
I decided to pay it a short visit to acquaint myself with any new acquisitions.
我决定亲自去一趟储藏室,熟悉一下新收录的文物。
Not much worth reporting, really:
没什么值得一提的东西,真的:
a new oak wardrobe that light is apparently unable to penetrate;
新到了一个无法被光穿透的橡木衣柜,
a carved rock eye they keep in a black velvet bag
– apparently it interferes with the video cameras otherwise –
一块刻成眼睛形状的石头,会对摄像头产生干扰,除非将其放在黑天鹅绒袋子里
and a rather nasty-looking scalpel
还有一柄看起来很恐怖的手术刀,
that is supposedly rife with the disease no matter what they used to
sterilize or disinfect it. That one’s kept in a hermetically sealed plastic box.
据说上面沾满病菌,用尽办法也不能清除。被封存在一个塑料盒里。

I stumbled across Sasha staring at that damn table again.
我撞见了萨沙,她又在盯着那张该死的桌子。
Luckily, I had the wherewithal to bring my tape recorder,
and managed to turn it on unnoticed.
幸好我当时带着录音机,趁她没注意把对话录了下来。

Recording follows.
录音如下。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]
ARCHIVIST
档案员
It’s… fascinating, isn’t it? In the literal sense, I mean.
这东西…真吸引人,不是吗?我指的是,从字面意义上说。

NOT!SASHA
非!萨沙
Yes. Sometimes I – can’t pull myself away from it.
是的。有时候,我、没法从这桌子上移开目光。

ARCHIVIST
Given recent events, I… I’ve been trying to figure out if it’s a fractal.
鉴于最近发生的事件,我…我一直想弄清楚,这上面的图案是不是分形。

NOT!SASHA
No… no, it isn’t, I’ve always seen it more… like a web?
不…不是的,这不是分形,我一直觉得这图案更像是…一张网?

ARCHIVIST
– I, I guess it has caught us, in its own way.
- 我、我想我们都被这张网用它以某种方式困住了。

NOT!SASHA
I don’t think we’re the first to be caught.
我觉得我们不是第一批被困住的人。

ARCHIVIST
No?
不是吗?

NOT!SASHA
I believe it caught Graham as well.
我想,这桌子之前还困住了格雷厄姆。

ARCHIVIST
I thought that was… I… whatever crawled through his window.
我本以为那是…我…以为是那个从他窗户里钻进去的东西。
Unless you think they’re linked, somehow?
除非,你觉得这两者之间有某种联系?

NOT!SASHA
I doubt it.
我怀疑不是这样的。
It didn’t sound like the sort of thing that would want to be bound to an object.
我觉得那东西应该不愿意被某样物品束缚。

ARCHIVIST
I suppose.
大概吧。
And we haven’t seen any long-limbed stalkers,
so… let’s concentrate on the table.
我们最近没见过任何长腿怪物,所以…还是把精力集中在桌子上吧。

NOT!SASHA
Agreed. If you’ll excuse me?
同意。那我就失陪了?

ARCHIVIST
Of course.
当然。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

ARCHIVIST
档案员
Odd, but not alarming,
奇怪的对话,但并不让人担心,
though I think I may discuss restricting her access to the table with Elias.
不过我也许应该跟伊莱亚斯谈谈,限制她接触那张桌子。

Oh – and I found out where she’s been going
when she takes extra-long lunch breaks.
哦,我发现她中午休息那么久究竟是去干什么了。
It seems harmless enough, but I admit I am a bit baffled.
结果似乎是无害的,不过我承认我的确有点吃惊。
Every few days, she travels up to Baker Street, to spend anywhere from
ten minutes to a full hour in Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum.
每隔几天,她都会到贝克街的杜莎夫人蜡像馆呆上十分钟到一个小时。
(杜莎夫人蜡像馆是位于英国伦敦的一家蜡像馆。在阿姆斯特丹、
曼谷、柏林、黑潭(英国)、拉斯维加斯、纽约、东京、好莱坞、
悉尼、华盛顿、维也纳、北京、上海、重庆、武汉、香港都有分馆)

End supplement.
补充完毕。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]
TOP
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
 


Time is now: 2024-06-28, 02:05