Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

欢迎访问本站。游客仅能浏览首页新闻、版块主题、维基条目与资源信息,需登录后方可获得内容发布、话题讨论、维基编辑与资源下载等权限。若无账号请先完成注册流程。
 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [译]马格努斯档案馆#52 特殊风险, 马格努斯档案馆本次讲述一位狱警的故事,他看管一批极其危险的罪犯,其中包括罗伯特·蒙托克,一天,一片黑暗笼罩了这片牢房…
贝克的小号
2022-08-19, 14:20
Post #1


名为赞福德的弹道学凝胶假人
Group Icon
 347
   62

Group: Avatar
Posts: 97
Joined: 2022-03-18
Member No.: 97525


马格努斯052 - 档案号 #0040904 - 菲利普·布朗

讲述其1990至2002年于威克菲尔德女王监狱工作的经历。

马格努斯档案馆本次讲述一位狱警的故事,他看管一批极其危险的罪犯,其中包括罗伯特·蒙托克,一天,一片黑暗笼罩了这片牢房…
Attached Image
(Art by @golden-dreamers-waltz)
档案员 - 乔纳森·西姆斯;巴西拉·侯赛因 - 弗兰克·沃斯
作者:乔纳森·西姆斯
导演:亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔
编辑:亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔,迈克·勒博
翻译/字幕:赞福德Zaphod(贝克的小号)


二楼附文字版

This post has been edited by 贝克的小号: 2022-11-26, 00:52
TOP
贝克的小号
2022-08-19, 14:20
Post #2


名为赞福德的弹道学凝胶假人
Group Icon
 347
   62

Group: Avatar
Posts: 97
Joined: 2022-03-18
Member No.: 97525


马格努斯052 - 档案号 #0040904 - 菲利普·布朗

讲述其1990至2002年于威克菲尔德女王监狱工作的经历。

马格努斯档案馆本次讲述一位狱警的故事,他看管一批极其危险的罪犯,其中包括罗伯特·蒙托克,一天,一片黑暗笼罩了这片牢房…

档案员 - 乔纳森·西姆斯;巴西拉·侯赛因 - 弗兰克·沃斯
作者:乔纳森·西姆斯
导演:亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔
编辑:亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔,迈克·勒博
翻译/字幕:赞福德Zaphod

[CLICK]
[按钮声]
ARCHIVIST
档案员
Statement of Philip Brown,
regarding his time working at HMP Wakefield between 1990 and 2002.
菲利普·布朗的叙述,讲述其1990至2002年于威克菲尔德女王监狱工作的经历。

Original statement given April 9, 2004.
原叙述时间:2004年4月9日。

Audio recording by Jonathan Sims,
head archivist of the Magnus Institute, London.
语音录入:乔纳森·西姆斯,伦敦马格努斯研究院档案馆长。

Statement begins.
叙述开始。

ARCHIVIST (STATEMENT)
档案员(叙述)
How much do you know about the prison service?
你对监狱的了解有多少?

Not much, I’d bet.
我敢打赌,你所知不多。

Maybe you’ve seen a few prison movies,
think you know a bit about how it is in there.
或许你看过几部监狱电影,觉得自己对里面的日子有点了解。
You’ve got to keep face and watch your back, right?
你得保住脸面,随时提防暗算,是吧?
After all, you never know who’s got a shiv with your name on it.
毕竟,你永远不知道谁想在背地里捅你刀子。
Well for a start, you’re probably thinking of American movies
about American prisons, and I can’t speak to that.
首先,你心里想的八成是以美国监狱为背景的美国电影,对此我倒是没有发言权。
Maybe it is non-stop gang warfare over there.
也许美国那边的监狱里真的上演着永无止境的帮派战争。
But in my experience, the biggest danger
in a prison is, and always will be, boredom.
但根据我的经验,在监狱里最大的危险永远是,无聊。

I say that like it’s some glib observation,
but we work hard to keep it as boring as possible.
我知道这听着像句废话,但我们一直尽最大努力让监狱的生活越无聊越好,
The first hint of violence among the inmates gets smacked down.
囚犯间萌生的暴力种子必须被立即消灭。
I worked as a prison officer in Her Majesty’s Prison Wakefield,
or “The Monster Mansion”, as the press insists on calling it.
我是一名狱警,在威克菲尔德女王监狱工作,媒体坚持把那里叫做“怪物庄园”。
It houses the real scum of this country.
那里关押的是全国最卑劣的人渣。
Class-A dangers, the lot of them, and it was always
a point of pride to me that we kept that place quiet.
全都是A级罪犯,所以能把监狱管理妥帖一直让我感到很自豪。

I mean, I say it like I had any real power,
but I was just a grunt keeping an eye on a cage full of wild animals.
虽然我说得好像自己有什么实权一样,但我只是个看管兽笼的小卒而已。
I won’t even pretend I was proportional in my use of force.
我连自己使用暴力手段时很克制这样的假话套话都不会说。
I mean, Prison Inspector would have been over that with me already,
but the sort of things you have to have done to end up in Wakefield
类似的话已经由监狱检察员对我说过了,但你得知道来到威克菲尔德的人都做过什么
– well. Let’s just say the suicide attempts far outnumbered the murder attempts.
嗯,这么说吧,这里的自杀事件数目远多于他杀事件。
And I never lost any sleep over that fact.
而我从不会因为这种事而失眠。
Not at any of the inmates, I made sure of that.
为了这些囚犯,不值得,这点我是一清二楚的。

After lockup at 7:00 p.m. sharp, I made a point
of keeping my wing dark and quiet.
每晚7点整锁门,之后我会确保我的辖区熄灯禁声。
It helped that they were single cells, of course –
no worries about conversational violence between cellmates.
这里都是单人牢房,这当然也省了不少麻烦,不用担心囚犯因为口角而爆发冲突。
But even then, I was careful to make it very clear that drawing
my attention after lights-out was something they would regret.
即便如此,我还是立下了规矩,熄灯后惹到我的人一定会后悔。
I’ll admit, I was a real bastard when I worked there.
我承认,在那里工作时,我是个十足的混蛋。
Sometimes you need a bastard to keep an eye on the monsters.
有时候,只有混蛋才能管得住怪物。
And back then, I really thought that the murderous filth we were
looking after were the closest thing this world had to real monsters.
当时我真的认为,这些杀人不眨眼的渣滓是世界上最接近怪物的东西。

I was wrong, of course.
当然,我错得离谱。

I’d been working there for almost five years
when Robert Montauk came to us.
罗伯特·蒙托克来到我们这里时,我已经干了快五年。
Now, don’t get me wrong, we’ve had plenty o
celebrity criminals passed through Wakefield over the years,
别误会,这些年来威克菲尔德关押过不少明星罪犯。
but I can’t say it didn’t give me a slight chill to know that we were going
to be keeping watch over the most prolific British serial killer of all time.
但当我得知我们即将迎来英国最臭名昭著的连环杀人犯时,我还是有点激动的。

I mean, he killed forty people, that’s a ridiculous number.
他可是杀了40个人啊,这个数字太夸张了。
I mean, maybe not in America, where you have so many places to hide,
我想,这在美国可能不算什么,毕竟那边地广人稀,方便杀手藏身,
but his nearest competition in this country barely
reached half that, and he used to be a policeman.
但在这边,排第二的连环杀人数量还不到他的一半,更别提他原来还是个警察。
All told, you had the ingredients for a cocktail of posturing,
unrest, and violence among certain quarters of the inmates.
结果就是,他的到来让部分囚犯蠢蠢欲动。
He wouldn’t normally have gone to Wakefield,
as his crimes had no sexual element to them,
他的罪行中并不涉及性犯罪,所以按常理,他是不应该被关押到威克菲尔德的,
but we were the only ones that had space for
a prisoner needing that level of security and scrutiny.
但只有我们这里有条件关押这种需要最高级安保和最严密监视的重刑犯。

He was a big guy.
他个头很大。
I wasn’t expecting that, to be honest.
说实话,这出乎我的预料。
Usually, with that kind of prisoner, they’ve got your “you’d never know,
to look at them” sort of feeling, but Montauk looked like a killer.
一般这种犯人给人的感觉都是“其貌不扬”,但蒙托克长得就像个杀人犯。
He must have been almost six foot six and built like a barge.
他的身高接近6英尺6,整个人就像一艘驳船。
(约1.98米)
His dark hair was cropped close to his scalp, showing off a flat, angular face.
他扁平的脸棱角分明,黑发剪成寸头。
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the man was terrifying.
就这么直说吧,这家伙长得很吓人。
When he entered the rec room for the first time,
他第一次走进犯人休息室的时候,
I could almost hear the deflating egos as a dozen would-be hoodlums thought better of trying to make a reputation by standing up to Robert Montauk.
平日里那些流氓一个接一个,目力可及地偃旗息鼓,谁也不敢招惹罗伯特·蒙托克。

Of course, there’s always one, and in this case, it was Ivan Ilich, an aspiring Serbian gangster who decided to go after him, jumping him from the side.
当然了,总有不长眼的,原来在塞尔维亚混黑帮的伊万·伊利奇突然向他发起袭击。
Me and the other wardens had been waiting for something like this,
but we were too slow to get there in time.
我和其他狱警早就等着有人这么干了,但我们还是慢了一步。
Well, maybe we could have gone faster, but forty murders…
好吧,也许我们本可以更快些的,但他杀了四十个人…
sometimes you want a look at what you’re up against.
有时候你动手前还是想先掂掂对方的斤两。

Ilich was not a small man, and nearly matched
Montauk in height, if not in weight,
伊利奇可不是小个子,他身高跟蒙托克接近,体重也大差不差,
but there was an energy to Montauk – a tightness,
like a rubber band about to snap.
但蒙托克有一种紧绷的气场,就像一根快要崩断的橡皮筋。
Ilich leapt forward with a shout and delivered a
solid punch right into the other man’s kidneys,
伊利奇高声叫着,一个箭步向前,一拳结结实实地打在蒙托克腰上,
but it was as though he’d hit the pressure pad on a bear trap.
但效果却像是触碰到了捕熊陷阱的压力板。
With terrifying speed the hands snapped round,
gripping the Serbian’s right arm.
蒙托克的一双大手以惊人的速度攥住了塞尔维亚人的右臂。

There was a half moment of complete silence as everyone seemed
to be holding their breath to see what Robert Montauk did next.
屋里突然变得很安静,所有人都屏住呼吸,等待罗伯特·蒙托克采取下一步行动。
He brought his hands around with a violent twist,
cleanly dislocating his assailant’s arm with a nasty pop,
他双手用力一扭,伊利奇的胳膊“啪”的一下应声折断,
replacing the silence with a scream and a string of Slavic curse words.
安静的屋子里突然爆发出一声痛苦的嚎叫,和一连串斯拉夫脏话。
At this point, me and the other screws broke it up.
这时,我和其他狱警出手把两人分开。
I got the unenviable task of taking the still-cursing
Ivan Ilich own to get his arm treated.
我按住满嘴脏话的伊万·伊利奇,带他去治胳膊,这事谁都不愿意干。

I didn’t see Montauk again for some time.
后来我有段时间没见到蒙托克。
After that little incident, he was immediately transferred over to F-block,
where he wasn’t going to be a danger to anyone but himself.
在那次小插曲之后,他立刻被转到了F区,在那里他能威胁到的人只有自己。
I’d occasionally hear rumors about him filtering through the other inmates,
我偶尔能从其他犯人那里听到与他有关的流言,
and there wasn’t a spooky story in Wakefield
that didn’t have him at the center of it.
威克菲尔德所有的恐怖故事,主角都非他莫属。
Barely a week went by without some loudmouth nobody
spreading word that he’d killed the guard, or escaped,
几乎每周都会有人大讲特讲他杀了监狱看守,或者越狱的故事,
or been found dead in his cell with his heart ripped out.
要不就是说他死在了牢房里,心脏被人剜了出来。
It was never true, of course.
当然了,这些故事全是假的。
Not at that point.
至少当时如此。
I think most of it came from Dave Harrington on F-wing.
我感觉大部分传言都是出自F翼的戴夫·哈灵顿之口。
He always loved to drop the fake gossip on new inmates,
and the old hands knew not to trust a word he said.
他总喜欢捏造新犯人的八卦,任何老手都知道,他嘴里的话一个字都不能信。

It was 1998 when –
那是1998年的事了 -

[DOOR OPENS]
[开门声]

ARCHIVIST
档案员
Hello?
你好?

BASIRA
巴西拉
Hey, I just wanted to –
嘿,我只是想 -

ARCHIVIST
Oh, hold on.
噢,稍等。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

ARCHIVIST
Sorry, can’t be too careful.
抱歉,小心驶得万年船。
Accidentally mentioned you on one of my earlier
official recordings, and had to go back over it.
之前不小心在正式录音中说漏了你的名字,没办法只能重新查了一遍。

BASIRA
Oh, sure. I’ve got another tape for you.
哦,好吧。我又给你拿来了一盘磁带。

ARCHIVIST
Ah, fantastic. Here’s the other one.
啊,太好了。这是上次的磁带。

BASIRA
Was there anything on it?
上面有什么重要的东西吗?

ARCHIVIST
Oh, very much so.
哦,当然了。
A Russian circus that
一个俄罗斯的马戏团,嗯
– oh. But, uh,
- 哦。但是,呃,
nothing relevant to Gertrude’s murder if that’s what you mean.
跟格特鲁德的谋杀没有任何关系,如果你想问的是这事。

BASIRA
That is what I mean.
我想问的确实是这事。

ARCHIVIST
Right. Sorry.
好的。抱歉。

Have you had a chance to listen to any of them yourself?
你自己有没有听过这些磁带?

BASIRA
Well the precinct has exactly one tape player,
and it exploded when I tried to put batteries in it.
嗯,局里只有一台录音机,我往里面放了一节电池,结果那玩意就炸了。
Put in a requisition for a new one, but that’s lost somewhere in the Met,
我提了一份需求单,但需求一定是淹没在伦敦警厅总部的某个角落了,
and I haven’t had a chance to chase it up, so no.
我也一直没空儿追这件事,所以,我没听那些磁带。

ARCHIVIST
Well, if you keep bringing them to me –
嗯,如果你能持续把磁带拿给我的话 -

BASIRA
It’s better than nothing, yeah.
总比什么都不干强,确实。
Anyway, I thought you could try this one next.
总之,我觉得你接下来可以试试这盘。

ARCHIVIST
Alexandria?
亚历山大?

BASIRA
Hey, at least this one actually has a label.
嘿,至少这盘磁带上贴了标签。
I figured you’re probably into old libraries and stuff –
我琢磨着你大概很喜欢旧图书馆之类的东西 -

ARCHIVIST
No, you’re right.
嗯,你说得对。
Thank you, Basira. Honest.
谢谢你,巴西拉。真的。

BASIRA
Yeah. Oh, what’s the name of that helper of yours?
好的。噢,你的那个助手叫什么来着?

ARCHIVIST
Uh, Martin.
啊,那是马丁。

BASIRA
No, no – the hot one.
不,不,那个比较帅的。
He has scars like you, but kind of manages to pull them off –
他有跟你差不多的伤疤,但是伤疤在他身上看起来还不错 -

ARCHIVIST
Yes, Tim.
哦,那是提姆。

BASIRA
Yeah, what’s his deal?
嗯,他是怎么回事?
He gave me the weirdest grin when I came in
just now and like… the thumbs up?
我刚才进门时他对着我怪笑,然后还…对我竖大拇指?

ARCHIVIST
I… I wouldn’t worry about it.
没…没什么好担心的。

BASIRA
No?
真的吗?

ARCHIVIST
…he thinks we’re sort of… together?
…他觉得我们两个人好像…在一起了。

BASIRA
Oh – Oh. Oh, no. You know I’m no –
哦 - 噢。哦,不。你知道我没有 -

ARCHIVIST
Yeah I know, me neither, he just got it in his head –
我知道,我也没有,但他就是觉得 -

BASIRA
– I mean you’re nice and all –
- 我的确觉得你人挺好的 -

ARCHIVIST
– yes – yes, no, I feel the same way.
是,是,不是,我跟你感觉一样。

BASIRA
Right. I mean, I suppose it’s better he think that?
好的。其实,我觉得他这么想其实正好?

ARCHIVIST
I won’t tell if you want.
如果你觉得这样更好我就不戳穿了。

BASIRA
Right. I’m… gonna go then.
好的。那我…就走了。

ARCHIVIST
Yes. Yes.
好的。好的。

[DOOR SHUTS]
[关门声]
Right.
好的。

[clears throat]
[清嗓]

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

Statement resumes.
叙述继续。

ARCHIVIST (STATEMENT)
档案员(叙述)
It was in 1998 that I next came into regular contact with Robert Montauk.
那是1998年的事了,我又开始频繁接触罗伯特·蒙托克。
The government had commissioned the construction of
Close Supervision Centers in prisons all over the country,
当时政府在全国各地的监狱里兴建严密监管中心,
and Wakefield was one of the flagship initiatives.
威克菲尔德则是旗舰试点单位之一。
A good portion of F-wing was given over to our own CSC,
soon to be known as the Exceptional Risk Unit.
F翼的一大部分区域划给了我们自己的严密建管中心,不久后改名为特殊风险单位。
It could only hold eight prisoners, but they were to be the worst of the worst,
只能容纳8名囚犯,每个都是穷凶极恶的重罪犯,
kept under constant scrutiny and given no chance to harm anyone.
在这里他们受到不间断的监视,绝对无法伤害任何人。

I was picked to be one of the officers transferred into the new unit.
我作为被选中的警员之一,转到了这个新的单位。
I don’t know if it was specifically because I had more inmate
altercations on my record than any other prison officer at Wakefield,
不知道我被选中,是不是因为我是整个威克菲尔德和囚犯争吵次数最多的狱警,
but given the intensity of the setup, I’m sure it didn’t hurt my application.
但是从这里严肃的架势来看,这一资质肯定没有拖我的后腿。

Robert Montauk was an obvious choice for the Exceptional Risk Unit.
罗伯特·蒙托克是特殊风险单位的不二人选。
During his time in Wakefield, he had been
involved in several further violent incidents,
他在威克菲尔德服刑期间,又卷入过几起暴力事件,
and though he hadn’t yet killed anyone inside the prison,
the higher-ups reckoned it was only a matter of time, so in he went.
虽然他还没在牢里杀过人,高层认为这只是时间问题,所以他就顺理成章地进来了。

The CSC was not a nice place.
严密监管中心可不是什么好地方。
Wakefield had had the budget to make it secure,
威克菲尔德的经费足以把这里打造得固若金汤,
but not to make it anything less than starkly-utilitarian.
但若说让这里不局限于完全的实用主义,那种经费是没有的。
The individual cells were cramped and claustrophobic,
with almost no natural light filtering in from the outside.
单人牢房拥挤不堪,几乎没有任何天然光照。
Oh, they still got their exercise, but it was in bare metal cages.
噢,他们依然可以锻炼,但是这些锻炼都是在铁笼子里做的。

We kept them separated from each other almost as much
as we kept them from the rest of the prison.
我们把他们和监狱里其他人隔开,同时还要确保他们互相之间没有交集。
You must never underestimate how violent and
desperate a trapped animal can become.
永远不要低估一只困兽。

We were cruel to them – I’m not ashamed of that.
我们对他们很残忍,对此我并不感到羞愧。
If I were to tell you all the crimes of those monsters we kept in the ERU,
如果我把特殊风险单位里那些畜生干过的坏事一件一件讲给你听,
you’d probably lose your lunch before I was halfway through the list.
估计我没说到一半,你就会把午饭呕出来。
Keeping them beat down was the only way to make sure they behaved.
持续不断的暴力是让他们听话的唯一方式。
And besides, atonement is important.
此外,赎罪可是很重要的。

I’ll admit though, I always had a soft spot for Robert Montauk.
不过我得承认,我一直挺喜欢罗伯特·蒙托克的。
He never gave us any trouble.
他从来不给我们惹麻烦。
Away from the other prisoners he seemed too docile, almost eerily so sometimes.
与其他囚犯隔开后,他显得有些过于温和,有时甚至让人感到诡异。

Also – and it’s a small thing – but he never denied his crimes.
而且,这其实是件小事,但他从来没有为自己辩解过。
Wakefield is one of those prisons where everyone is innocent,
and it gets so dull to hear their whining protestations day after day.
威克菲尔德的每个囚犯都是无辜的,日复一日听他们的无罪辩解,耳朵都快长茧子了。
Anyone who fully owned their crimes always went up in my estimation.
那些对罪行供认不讳的人都让我高看几分。
I mean, we still beat him down on occasion, but not as bad as the others.
我的意思是,我们偶尔还是会揍他,但比别人轻多了。
After a year or two, I kind of started to forget who he was, you know?
过了一两年吧,我开始忘记他原本是谁了,你懂那种感觉吗?
The mystique of being Britain’s most successful serial killer just didn’t hold up
全英最凶残连环杀手的神秘感就那样慢慢消失了
when you have someone in your power like that.
You forget any respect you might have had for them.
当你拥有凌驾于某人之上的权力时,你会逐渐忘却对对方的一切尊重。
And he never gave us any trouble.
而且,他从不给我们惹麻烦。

In 2001 he started to get visitors – his daughter, mostly.
从2001年起,开始有人来探望他了,主要是他女儿。
Given that she hadn’t visited before, I’d guess she’d just turned 18.
她之前从没来过,我猜那时她一定是刚满18岁。
You get that a lot.
这样的事经常发生。
Unaccompanied visits aren’t allowed under that age,
18岁以下的未成年人是无权独自探监的,
and plenty of inmates have kids living with
overprotective guardians who refused to take them.
很多囚犯的孩子都和监护人住在一起,出于保护心理,监护人不会带孩子来探监。
So I assumed she was similar.
我想,她的情况应该差不多吧。

The visitor rooms in the main prison are quite nice
– not so much in the Exceptional Risk Unit.
监狱主楼的探视室还是挺不错的,特殊风险单位则不然。
The dark, bare room, like all of them, cut down the middle with a reinforced window.
那是一间跟牢房一样昏暗,空无一物的房间,中间被加固窗户一分为二。
There were plenty of lights in there, but somehow it always seemed gloomy.
其实这件屋子里有很多灯,但不知怎的,这里总是显得十分昏暗。
I was on observation for a few of their father-daughter visits.
我执勤时,赶上过几次他们父女相见。
She would talk about her life like her dad wasn’t a murderer,
她会向父亲讲述自己的生活,就好像他不是杀人犯一样,
he would lie about how it wasn’t too bad in the prison.
而他则撒谎说里面的日子还不赖。
It was all very touching, I’m sure.
我相信那场面真的非常感人。

Aside from his daughter, there was only one other time that he had a visitor.
除了女儿以外,只有一次还有另一个人来看他。
It was six months before he died, late March 2002.
那是2002年3月下旬,也就是他去世的半年之前。
He was an older guy, I’d guess late fifties, wearing
a well-tailored black suit and an expression of disgust.
来人年纪不小,估摸快60岁了,他穿着一身剪裁得体的黑色正装,脸上写满厌恶。
When I brought Montauk in, his face fell and he went very pale.
我把蒙托克带进探视室时,他竟然露出害怕的神情,脸色也变得煞白。
I’d helped folks beat Robert Montauk a dozen times
or more, but I had never seen him look scared.
我和其他人揍过罗伯特·蒙托克不下十次,但我从没见他怕过。

He sat down opposite the old man, and they looked
each other in the eye through the thick glass.
他坐在那个老头对面,两人隔着厚厚的玻璃直视对方的眼睛。
I think the visitor might have been blind.
我觉得探视人可能是盲人。
His eyes were cloudy, but he had no cane or dog,
他的眼睛雾蒙蒙的,但他没有盲杖,也没带导盲犬,
and it didn’t seem to affect how he looked at Montauk.
而且这似乎也不影响他打量蒙托克。
Neither of them spoke.
他们两人都没有开口。

The seconds turned into minutes and still they didn’t say a word.
一连几分钟,他们沉默不语。
They just sat there, staring.
就那么干坐着,大眼瞪小眼。
Given where I work, it’s really something to be able to say that
我从没见过像罗伯特·蒙托克和那个老人一样互相憎恶的人,
I’ve never seen two people who hated each other
as much as Robert Montauk and that old man.
我吃的可是监狱这碗饭,你得明白这句话的分量。

After a few minutes, I was all but ready to drag him out,
又过了几分钟,我决定把他拽走,
but as I stepped forward, the lights blew,
all of them at once, leaving us in the dark.
可我刚一抬脚,灯坏了,所有的灯同时熄灭,我们陷入黑暗之中。
I heard Pete Gordo, the warden with me on visitor duty,
fumbling for the handle on the door, to get help or torches.
我听到和我一起执勤的皮特·戈多胡乱抓弄着门把手,想去求助或者拿手电。
I was tense, ready to fight off Montauk if he decided to make a move,
but instead a soft voice came from out of the darkness.
我浑身紧绷,准备好应对蒙托克的突然袭击,却听到黑暗中传来一个轻柔的声音。
I didn’t recognize it, but I thought it sounded like it came from the old man.
我没认出那个声音,但我觉得好像是从那个老人那边传来的。
I don’t think he was talking to me.
我觉他应该不是在对我说话。

“You didn’t think you could kill it for long, did you?”
“你该不会觉得,你能让它死上很久吧?”

That’s what it said.
他只说了这么多。

Then Pete got the door open, and a shaft of light poured in from the corridor.
然后皮特打开了门,一道光柱从走廊中投射进来。

I could once again see Montauk and the old man, sat there, motionless.
透过光,我又能看到蒙托克和那个老人,一动不动地坐在那里。
It didn’t seem like they’d moved an inch.
他们好像纹丝没动。
Though, as I went to take Montauk back to his cell, I noticed that he was crying.
但当我把蒙托克带回牢房时,我发现,他在哭。
I didn’t mention it.
我没提起这事。
I’ll be honest, I was kind of freaked out by the whole thing.
说实话,这件事给我吓得不轻。

The next few months were quiet.
接下来的几个月很平静。
Montauk seemed even more subdued than normal,
and often had to be goaded into exercising during his allotted time.
蒙托克比以往更温顺了,休息时更是要逼他,他才肯去锻炼。
The only point where he seemed normal
was when his daughter came for her visits,
只有女儿来探视时,他才显得正常些,
and maybe that was just because he was already so used to lying to her.
但这或许只是因为他早就习惯向她说谎了。

That was the summer we had all the plumbing problems in the ERU,
and the water kept going foul, so we were all kind of on edge.
那年夏天特殊风险单位的水管老是出毛病,经常臭气熏天,导致所有人都有点毛躁。
But nothing really happened until it turned
to autumn and November rolled around.
不过,夏过秋来,一直到11月也没有出过什么事。
It was November the 1st.
那天是11月1号。
I remember because the date was read out so many
damn times at the assorted disciplinaries that followed.
我记得很清楚,因为在后来的处分会上,这个该死的日期被宣读了不知多少遍。

The worst part of it is, I wasn’t even doing anything wrong that day.
最糟糕的是,那天我根本没做错任何事。
I was working the late shift with Pete,
and we were having coffee in the break room.
那天我和皮特值晚班,当时我们正在休息室喝咖啡。
At least, I was having coffee.
至少,我是在喝咖啡。
Pete was swearing at the taps, because the plumbing problem we
had all had been assured was fixed was back and worse than ever.
皮特正对着水龙头破口大骂,之前保证修好的水管又出问题了,而且比以往更严重。
The taps were disgorging a jet of foul-smelling, stagnant water.
水龙头吐出一股臭不可闻的死水。
I was laughing at him, sipping my own perfectly
adequate drink, when all the lights went off.
我啜饮着可口的咖啡,大声嘲笑着他,这时所有的灯都灭了。

It was more widespread than last time, though.
不过,这次熄灯的范围比上次更广。
It seemed like the electricity had gone off altogether.
这次好像是彻底断电了。
We stood there in the pitch-black, waiting for the generator to
kick in, or for whatever power problem this was to be fixed.
我们站在黑暗之中,等着发电机发挥功效,或是有人修复电力。
But after a few minutes of silence and darkness, it
became clear that that wasn’t happening anytime soon.
四下鸦雀无声,我们在一片漆黑中等了几分钟,意识到电力短时间内是不可能恢复了。

In the distance, we could hear the prisoners of the
Exceptional Risk Unit start to shout and holler.
我们听到远处传来特殊风险单位犯人的嚎叫声。
Their cells were locked, of course –
there was nothing a power cut could do about that.
当然了,他们的牢房是锁着的,停电也不会改变这一点。
But it was still up to us to keep order until the lights came back.
但电力恢复之前,还是得靠我们维持秩序。

I had hoped that the other prison officers on shift would have
come by to pick us up, but they were clearly busy elsewhere.
我满心希望其他当班的狱警能来接我们,但显然他们也正忙着处理别的问题。
I called out to Pete, making sure he was still
nearby as I fumbled in the locker for my torch.
我在柜子里手忙脚乱地寻找手电,同时叫了皮特一声,确保他还在附近。
I finally found it and turned it on.
最后我终于找到了手电,连忙打开。
The beam was so bright in the oppressive
darkness that I had to blink away tears.
在压抑的黑暗中,那光柱太过耀眼,晃得我眼泪直流,不住眨眼。
Using the light from mine, Pete found his own flashlight,
and together we headed out into the CSC.
借着我手电的灯光,皮特找到了自己的手电,我们一起朝严密监管中心走去。

We checked each cell in turn, lying to the prisoners
inside about when the power would be back
我们轮流查看每一间牢房,骗犯人说电力一会儿就会恢复
and sending them back to their beds with threats of violence.
并威胁他们说,不老实躺在床上就会挨揍。
I didn’t see any of the other wardens around,
and was starting to get really nervous.
我没见到其他狱警,这开始让我感到极度不安。
When we had checked all the other cells, we went towards Robert Montauk’s.
我们查完其他所有牢房,最后走向罗伯特·蒙托克的单间。

The torch beams shot out in front of us, but as they
fell upon the door to his cell, something was wrong.
手电的光柱射向前方,但当光柱打在他的牢房门上时,我发现事情不对。
I wasn’t quite sure what I was looking at for a second, and then I realized
that his cell door was open, but the torch light wasn’t reaching the inside.
我一时间没明白眼前的情况,但我马上意识到,门是开着的,但手电的光照不到里面。
As it hit the threshold, it just stopped, a clear and distinct
line of darkness beyond which nothing could be seen.
光照到便门口停滞不前,与门后的黑暗形成了一条泾渭分明的线,里面什么都看不见。

From inside there came the wet sound of tearing and a low moan of pain.
里面传来潮湿的撕裂声,还有一声充满痛苦的低吼。

I wanted to run, but instead I took a step forward.
我想逃跑,但却向前迈了一步。
My torch died.
我的手电灭了。
Pete’s went off as well, and we just stood there, terrified, unable to see a thing.
皮特也是一样,我们什么都看不见,就那么惊恐万状地站在原地。
The sounds were no longer coming from inside the cell,
and that didn’t reassure me as much as it might have.
牢房里不再有声音传出,可这并没让我感到安心。

About fifteen feet behind me, I heard Pete
fumbling around, calling out my name.
我听到皮特在我身后15英尺左右的地方胡乱地摸索,他高呼着我的名字。
I was about to reply, tell him to stay where he was,
when I heard something that froze my blood.
我正要回复,告诉他呆着别动,却听到了一个让我血液凝固的声音。

Pete said, “There you are.” He was not touching me.
皮特说,“你在这儿啊。”可他并没碰到我。

Almost immediately, there was a growl from the darkness.
几乎与此同时,黑暗中响起一声吼叫。
It was throaty in a roar, but at the same time sounded almost musical.
那是一声嘶哑的吼叫,但同时却有种宛如音乐的感觉。
He screamed. I heard him fall to the floor.
他大叫一声。然后我听到他倒在地上。

It was at that moment that the lights came back on.
这时,灯又亮了。
We were alone.
我们周围什么都没有。

I ran to do a quick circuit of the CSC that the other
prison officers arrived, but there was no one else there.
我快速地把严密监管中心转了一圈,查看其他狱警的踪迹,可一个人都没有。
Apparently, there’d been some problems with the doors,
and they hadn’t been able to get to the main ERU cells.
显然,隔离门出了问题,他们没法来到特殊风险单位牢房这一侧。
Pete was on the ground when I returned,
though he seemed physically unharmed.
我回来时皮特躺在地上,不过看起来没有受伤。
It was one of the other wardens that found what was left of Robert Montauk.
另一个狱警找到了罗伯特·蒙托克的遗骸。

I took the fall for it.
最后我背了锅。
They didn’t try to make out like I had killed him, just that it
had happened on my watch and due to my negligence.
他们并没有把事情定性为我杀了他,只是说由于我执勤时疏于职守,导致事件发生。
They’d been trying to push me out ever since the Prison Inspector
had written the CSC up for excessive use of force the year before.
一年前监狱检察员在报告中说严密监视中心滥用暴力,后来他们就一直想把我赶走。
They really threw the book at me.
他们真的是一点都没留情面。
“Gross incompetence.” It’s a bitter phrase to say out loud.
“极度缺乏工作能力。”这话说出来还真让人挂不住。
What was I supposed to tell them, a monster made of darkness murdered him?
可我又该怎么跟他们说,有一个由黑暗组成的怪物把他杀了?

Pete was no help.
皮特也没帮上忙。
He handed in his notice two hours after the lights came back on.
照明恢复两小时之后他就递上了辞呈。
I didn’t even get a chance to speak to him,
ask what had happened – he was just gone.
我甚至没空跟他搭上话,问他到底发生了什么事,他就这么离开了。

I don’t really have anything more to say about it.
这件事,能说的我都说了。
It was a clearly-paranormal incident that led
to the end of my career and it’s not fair.
这显然是个超自然事件,因为这事丢了工作,实在是太不公平了。

ARCHIVIST
档案员
Statement ends.
叙述结束。

Prison records are very hard to acquire for the Close Supervision Center,
due to the small number of inmates held there.
严密监管中心犯人较少,因此那里的记录很难搞到。
Most information could be considered “identifying,” so the prison
service tends to hide behind data protection laws when asked about them.
大部分信息都可以定性为“身份敏感”,所以狱方每每都拿数据保护法案当挡箭牌。
Beyond that, many of the prison records from before the mid-2000s
have still not been digitized, making followup on this hard.
此外,2005年前的许多狱方记录都还没有数字化,使得跟踪调查更加困难。

Tim hit something of a dead end trying to look up Pete Gordo,
提姆在查找皮特·戈多时遇到了死胡同,
though Sasha did manage to track down the 2002
visitor logs for the whole of Wakefield prison.
不过萨沙搞到了威克菲尔德监狱2002年的探视记录。
It took some searching, but I managed to find what I believe to be
the entry for the visit from Mr. Brown’s mysterious old man.
我找了很久,不过还是找到了一份记录,我相信这就是布朗先生提到的神秘老人。
The name given is “Maxwell Rayner.”
上面的名字是“麦克斯韦·雷纳。”

Martin hasn’t had much luck tracking down Mr. Brown himself.
很不幸,马丁没能查到布朗先生的下落。
According to Caroline Brodie, his ex-wife, she left him
in 2004 after his dismissal from the prison service
据其前妻卡罗琳·布罗迪所说,他在2004年被监狱开除
pushed him further into alcoholism and he became abusive.
之后他的酗酒问题愈演愈烈,并且开始有暴力倾向,于是她选择了离婚。
She says she got a single letter from him in 2009,
asking for reconciliation, but she never replied.
她说她在2009年从他那收到一封请求复合的信,但没有回复。
Martin says the letter was postmarked from Waterford in Ireland,
but he’s been unable to track Mr. Brown any further.
马丁说信上的邮戳来自爱尔兰的沃特福德,但没能进一步查到布朗先生的下落。

So, what is this thing, if it seems to obstruct Robert Montauk
through so much of his life, and what’s its connection to Rayner?
这个和罗伯特·蒙托克纠缠大半辈子的东西究竟是什么,它和雷纳之间又有什么联系?
Were they summoning it, containing it, worshipping it?
他们是在召唤它,控制它,还是在崇拜它?
Whatever the case, it seems as though Montauk earned its anger.
不论如何,看起来蒙托克碰到了它的逆鳞。

I feel it might be worthwhile getting a few more torches for the Archive.
我感觉有必要在档案馆多备一些手电。

End recording.
录音结束。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

ARCHIVIST
档案员
Supplemental.
补充说明。

I confronted Sasha about the wax museum.
我和萨沙就蜡像馆的事进行了对峙。
It was just too strange to not mention.
这件事太奇怪了,不提不行。
I tried to pass it off like I had spotted her
accidentally while in the area for other reasons.
我假装自己是因为别的事路过那里,正好看见了她。
I doubt she bought it, but she did at least give me an answer.
我不知道她是否相信我的理由,但她还是给了我一个答复。
She has a new boyfriend, or so she claims, who
works there, and she likes to get lunch with him.
她新交了一个男友,至少她是说这么说,他在蜡像馆上班,他们经常一起吃午饭。
It is plausible,
还是有可能的,
and at this stage I feel challenging her to produce said boyfriend
would potentially damage what trust remains between us.
目前情况下,如果逼她把这个男友搬到台前,可能有损我们之间残存的信任。

No luck with any of my other leads yet, but
at least I have another of Gertrude’s tapes.
其它线索都石沉大海,不过至少我又拿到了一盘格特鲁德的磁带。
It’s always going to be a shot in the dark with them,
but hopefully an informative one.
听这些磁带无疑是碰运气而已,但希望这次能走运。
I know the secret to her death is on one of them. It must be.
我知道,关乎她死亡的秘密就在这些磁带里。一定如此。



I just… I hope I don’t have to hear it firsthand.
我只是…希望我不必听到第一手消息。

End supplement.
补充完毕。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]
TOP
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
 


Time is now: 2024-06-28, 02:09