Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

欢迎访问本站。游客仅能浏览首页新闻、版块主题、维基条目与资源信息,需登录后方可获得内容发布、话题讨论、维基编辑与资源下载等权限。若无账号请先完成注册流程。
 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [译]马格努斯档案馆#57 私人空间, 马格努斯档案馆本次讲述一名宇航员的故事,他在参与一项近地轨道实验的过程中目睹了恐怖的异象…
贝克的小号
2022-11-26, 00:44
Post #1


名为赞福德的弹道学凝胶假人
Group Icon
 347
   62

Group: Avatar
Posts: 97
Joined: 2022-03-18
Member No.: 97525


马格努斯057 - 档案号#0090404 - 卡特·奇尔科特

讲述其于代达罗斯宇宙空间站独自度过的时光。

马格努斯档案馆本次讲述一名宇航员的故事,他在参与一项近地轨道实验的过程中目睹了恐怖的异象…
Attached Image
(Art by Ezellix@reddit)
档案员 - 乔纳森·西姆斯;非!萨沙 - 伊芙琳·休伊特
作者:乔纳森·西姆斯
导演:亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔
编辑: 亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔,迈克·勒博
翻译/字幕:赞福德Zaphod(贝克的小号)



2楼附文字版
TOP
贝克的小号
2022-11-26, 00:44
Post #2


名为赞福德的弹道学凝胶假人
Group Icon
 347
   62

Group: Avatar
Posts: 97
Joined: 2022-03-18
Member No.: 97525


马格努斯057 - 档案号#0090404 - 卡特·奇尔科特

讲述其于代达罗斯宇宙空间站独自度过的时光。

马格努斯档案馆本次讲述一名宇航员的故事,他在参与一项近地轨道实验的过程中目睹了恐怖的异象…

档案员 - 乔纳森·西姆斯;非!萨沙 - 伊芙琳·休伊特
作者:乔纳森·西姆斯
导演:亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔
编辑: 亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔,迈克·勒博
翻译/字幕:赞福德Zaphod(贝克的小号)

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

ARCHIVIST
档案员
Statement of Carter Chilcott, regarding his time spent in isolation
aboard the space station Daedalus in September 2007.
卡特·奇尔科特的叙述,讲述其2007年9月于代达罗斯宇宙空间站独自度过的时光。

Original statement given April 4, 2009.
原叙述时间:2009年4月4日。

Audio recording by Jonathan Sims,
head archivist of the Magnus Institute, London.
语音录入:乔纳森·西姆斯,伦敦马格努斯研究院档案馆长。

Statement begins.
叙述开始。

ARCHIVIST (STATEMENT)
档案员(叙述)
We’re all alone out there.
我们在宇宙中是孤独的。

I know the statistics.
我知道那些统计数字。
How big the universe is, the probabilities and proximities and the promises
of other beings out there among the stars, but I’ve been there.
我知道宇宙的尺度,也知道群星之中还有其他存在的种种可能,但我真的去过那里。
There’s nothing.
那里什么都没有。
Nothing but empty, uncaring void, lacing dead worlds and
dead stars all together like a tapestry of lonely meaninglessness.
唯有无情的虚空像针一样串联着死寂的世界,在宇宙的挂毯上绣满没有意义的孤寂。

Humans have existed for the smallest sliver of a fraction of a moment in
the existence of the universe, and we will be extinguished just as quickly.
在宇宙的时间尺度上,人类的存在只不过是渺小的一瞬,而不消一瞬,我们又会消失。
And when we are at last gone forever into the quiet emptiness
of death, there will be nothing left but the cold universe.
当我们遁入寂静的死亡后,冰冷的宇宙终将变得空无一物。

And nothing shall mark our passing because there is nothing to do so.
没有人会记录我们的逝去,因为宇宙本就是一片空白。

Dismiss me if you wish to. Take comfort in your
escapist fantasies of aliens and visitors from other worlds,
对我的话,你大可不屑一顾。请随意从外星人和天外来客的荒诞故事中寻求慰藉,
but there’s no proof I can give you beyond the testimony of one who has spent so very long staring into that black and empty infinity and knowing,
但作为一个久久凝视过黑暗宇宙中那片无垠虚空的人,我知道,真正地知道,
truly knowing, what it means to be floating and forsaken in an empty universe.
孤独地漂浮在空荡的宇宙中究竟意味着什么,我没有证据,信不信随你。

I knew isolation experiments could be rough when I signed up.
当初报名时我就知道,隔离实验可能很难熬。
I’m not some naive fool who thought he’d
endure a few quirky side effects for science.
我不是那种甘愿为科学献身,落几个怪毛病也在所不惜的天真傻瓜。
No, I’m an astronaut, so I do my research.
不,我是宇航员,我会做深入的研究。
When I was picked for the project, a long-term
isolation study set in conditions of low Earth orbit,
当我受选参加这个近地轨道长期隔离实验研究项目时,
I read up on as many previous cases and
similar experiments from the past 30 years,
我把过去30年里能找到的类似实验项目的资料读了个遍,
familiarizing myself with possible side effects and likely psychological hurdles.
对实验可能造成的副作用和心理障碍心里有数。

It was daunting to say the least.
毫不夸张的说,副作用很吓人。
I wasn’t keen to experience some of what the previous tests seemed to promise what happened to my mind, but I didn’t feel like I had much choice.
我丝毫不想和这些实验带来的潜在精神影响沾上边,可我觉得别无选择。
I’d had my application to the International
Space Station floating in limbo for so long
我早就申请登上国际空间站,但申请信却石沉大海,
that when a private consortium approached me telling me
they’d recently launched Daedalus, a small manned satellite
of their own, and needed qualified crew members,
这个节骨眼上,一家私人财团找到我,说他们最近发射了
一颗名叫代达罗斯的小型载人卫星,现在正缺专业人手,
I jumped at the chance to go to space at last.
终于有个登上太空的机会摆在我面前,我毫不犹豫地答应了。

I should have realized that what they meant by
“crew member” was “lab monkey”.
我早该料到,他们所谓的“人手”指的其实是“实验用的猴子”。
But to be honest, even after I found this out it didn’t
do a lot to dampen my enthusiasm for the project.
但说实话,即便得知真相,我对这个项目依然热情不减。
I was going to space.
我终于能进太空了。

There were two other people technically on the crew.
严格地说,除我之外还有两名队员。
I say technically as I never spent any time
with them beyond the trip up to the Daedalus.
不过,除去登上代达罗斯的途中,我从未与他们二人共度任何时光。
Their names were Yan Kilbride and Manuela Dominguez.
他们分别是严·基布莱德和曼努埃拉·多明格斯。
I’m sure that they probably did a lot more
looking after the station than I ever did,
我十分确信,在空间站的日常维护工作上,他们的付出应该比我多得多,
but as far as I was concerned I was the only one up there.
但就我个人而言,那里只有我自己。

From the chatter I heard before the mission began,
each of us had an experiment of our own to be concerned with.
任务开始前闲聊时我了解到,每个人都有不同的实验项目。
But they were also there as a backup in case
something went horribly wrong with mine,
不过,如果我的实验出了大问题,他们两个也要作为备选人员参与到我的实验中来,
since the observing scientist simply didn’t
have the option of intervening themselves.
因为地面上进行观测的科学家根本没有任何干预手段。

I remember the man in charge of my particular project, Conrad Lukas,
我记得我这个项目的负责人名叫康拉德·卢卡斯,
made a face of rather overstated disgust when
he told me I wouldn’t be up there entirely on my own.
当他告诉我,我在太空中并非真正独自一人时,他的脸上露出了极为厌恶的表情。
I got the distinct impression he was one of those people who feel that ethical restrictions do nothing but bind the hands of the true scientist and leave them at the mercy of their subjects’ limitations.
我感觉他是那种认为道德伦理只会掣肘科学研究,让真正的科学家无法突破项目桎梏的人。

My section of the tiny space station was completely self-contained.
空间站本不大,但我所处的区域仍是闭户独门。
There was food, sleeping arrangements, and zero-gravity
exercise equipment, all for my personal use.
有足够的食物,起居用品,还有零重力下进行锻炼的器材,都归我一人使用。
The single entrance to the rest of the satellite was locked and sealed.
唯一与卫星其它部分联通的门已经上锁,而且封死了。
It could be opened from either side but on my side it required a code.
其实门从两侧都能打开,但我这边必须输入密码才能开启。
I did have access to the code in case of emergency,
为以防万一,我是可以拿到密码的,
but I had way too much riding on the mission to even
think about being responsible for its early termination.
但我为这个任务倾注了太多,万万不想让它提前终止。

I also had one large domed window.
我这边还有个大型圆顶窗户。
It allowed me a decent view of the Earth below, as well as plenty of
chance to stare off into space, which I did quite a lot in those early days.
透过窗户能看到下面的地球,刚到空间站时,我还经常向宇宙深处远眺。

I was told the other astronauts would do their best to avoid
that window while doing maintenance or repair work outside.
我得知,另外两位航天员在舱外进行维护工作时,会尽量避免从窗前经过。
Mission Control had also supplied me with a lot of
books and films and other entertainment as,
控制中心也为我提供了大量的书籍、电影和其他娱乐手段,
like Conrad had told me at the first briefing,
the experiment was into isolation, not boredom.
如康拉德在初次任务介绍时所说,实验目的是把人隔离,而不是让人无聊。
So when I locked that door for the first time, I was feeling
in pretty good spirits about the whole thing, to be honest.
说实话,第一次锁上那扇门的时候,我对整个任务的感觉还不错。

I knew I was being monitored.
我知道,我的行为时时有人监视。
There was a little camera mounted on the wall that kept a beady eye on me.
墙上的摄像头像一只小眼睛一样盯着我。
It wasn’t so invasive that I couldn’t get away from it when I wanted to,
要想避开摄像头,也不是不可能,
but for the most part I was happy enough to eat and
read and exercise in front of the watchful lens.
但大部分时间,我并不介意在摄像头面前吃饭、读书或者锻炼。

Obviously those assessing my progress would never communicate
with me directly and they might not even be watching a live feed,
显然,实验进度评估员不会和我直接交流,他们甚至可能看的根本不是直播信号,
so if they had opinions on how I was
undertaking my task, I never heard them.
因此就算他们对我的任务情况有什么见解,我也从没听过。
Even if my task was just sitting around in a room
in space waiting for my mind to break.
虽然任务本身不过是在宇宙之中的一间小屋里枯坐,等待自己的精神崩溃。

I tried not to take too much comfort in the knowledge
that there were people watching my every move,
对于有人在监视我的一举一动这件事,我尽量不去想,
as I felt that to find that reassuring would go quite
strongly against the spirit of the experiment.
因为我觉得,反复加固有人为我兜底这个念头,会强烈违背实验的本意。
I had to really feel alone.
我必须真的感到孤独才行。
That at least it didn’t take too long to set in.
至少,孤独感没过多久就得以显现了。
I can’t honestly see how strapping yourself in to sleep or drinking your
juice with a space foil pack on the straw can have much effect on isolation,
其实我觉得绑绳子睡觉,用吸管从太空包装里喝饮料这种事对隔离感没什么影响,
but I wasn’t going to be the one to bring it up.
但我可不会抻这个茬。

I believe some people would have been more
disturbed than others by its location orbiting Earth,
我相信,对于部分人来说,身处近地轨道会让整件事显得更加可怕,
but it didn’t feel markedly different to me from any of the
other isolation studies they conducted over the last few decades.
但对我来说,这次实验与过去几十年里进行过的隔离研究并没有什么明显区别。
If anything the silent, rolling green and blue of the
Earth far below was another source of comfort,
甚至于,看到蓝绿色的地球在空间站下方无声地旋转着,
in the sure knowledge of the billions of other people making their way
through life who had no idea what was right above their heads.
想到数以亿计的人们过着自己的生活,对头顶上空发生的事情浑然不知,反而让我感到某种慰藉。

Both of these comforts lasted me almost six weeks.
这两种抚慰让我撑了接近六周。
That was when I was aware I should start to
experience some of the more distressing side effects.
这时我意识到,有些更严重的副作用应该要开始显现了。

I’d already passed through listlessness and a bout of insomnia.
我已经过了精神萎靡的阶段,也经历了一轮失眠的折磨。
And I hadn’t been using my exercise machine properly for almost a fortnight,
而且我已经快两周没有好好锻炼身体了,
but I still didn’t expect the severity of the hallucinations when they began.
但我还是没想到,我会开始经历如此严重的幻觉。

Twice I was woken up by the sound of the door opening,
only to find it as tight as it had ever been.
我两次在梦中被开门声惊醒,却发现门关得严严实实。
Throughout the daytime I would occasionally hear footsteps,
which shouldn’t even have been possible in zero gravity.
白天我偶尔会听到脚步声,这在零重力环境根本是无稽之谈。
There was also a blackout for about 20 minutes at
one point that may or may not have been real.
还有一次持续了大概20分钟的停电,我甚至不知道这经历是不是真的。
Certainly we didn’t seem to lose power in any other systems except the lights.
除了照明系统外,其他系统的电力供应都完全正常。

So this was all reasonably distressing, but at least
it had the advantage of not being unexpected.
这一切都让我感到十分苦恼,但至少我对这些现象有心理预期。
No, the first warning I got about how bad
things were going to get was the spacesuit.
我第一次意识到情况危急,是因为那套太空服。

The clocks read it as 14:30 UTC and I was rewatching 28 Days Later,
one of the better films that had been provided for my entertainment,
当时我正在重看《惊变28天》,这算是为我准备的
电影中比较好看的一部了,时间指向标准时间14:30,
(科幻电影,故事中动物保护组织不慎释放了实验室中一批携带病毒的大猩猩,繁华的伦敦于短短28天变成一座死城)
when a movement in the window caught my eye.
这时,窗外有样东西吸引了我的目光。
At first I thought it might have been some orbital debris moving past,
but then I spotted it, still at the edge of the domed window.
起初我以为那不过是什么东西的碎片,接着我在圆顶窗户的边缘看到了那东西。

It was a hand.
那是一只手。
The white bulky gloved hand of someone wearing an EVA suit.
白色宇航服的硕大手臂。
It started to float slowly across the window, followed by the rest of
the arm, then the torso, ‘till almost the whole suit slowly floating across.
它缓缓从窗前飘过,先是露出胳膊,然后是躯干,最后几乎整套宇航服都飘在我眼前。

I was excited by the idea of seeing another human being at first,
even if it was only brief or might compromise some of the work,
起初,我因这次与他人的短暂邂逅而激动不已,全然不顾这有可能影响实验结果,
but as the suit made its painstaking drift across the space outside,
it rotated enough that I could see clearly through the suit’s visor.
但随着太空服在外面不住地旋转,我透过面罩看到了太空服的内部。

There was nobody inside. The floating suit was completely empty.
里面没有人。那漂浮的太空服里空空如也。

And I started to suddenly get very scared.
我突然怕得不行。

At last it had passed right across and off into the night, the other side,
最终,那太空服缓缓飘过窗户,消失在夜空中,
and I stopped to try and calm myself in the face of
what had been a deeply strange thing to watch.
看着眼前的异象,我极力让自己保持冷静。
I managed to do so,
我稳住自己的情绪,
but only until I looked again out of that window.
可当我再次望向窗外时。

There were no more empty, floating clothes, but I noticed something that
for some reason hadn’t dawned on me when watching the empty suit.
空荡荡的太空服不见了,因而我注意到另一件事。
It was, to put it quite simply, impossible,
这件事,一言以蔽之,本是完全不可能发生的,
and I must have approached it from a hundred
different angles trying to make sense of it.
我大概换了一百个观测角度,都没能把事情看个明白。

The Earth was gone.
地球消失了。

At first I assumed it must have been an orientation
change, but that didn’t make any sense.
一开始,我以为是卫星角度问题,但这也说不通。
The planet below had never been hidden from my position
before and if we shifted that radically I would have felt it, I was sure.
从我所处的位置一直能看到地球,如果我们有过大角度的旋转,我不可能没有感觉。

But still the fact remained that where the Earth
should have been, there was empty, dark space.
可事实就是,地球原本所在的位置变成了一片黑暗。
I must have watched for hours waiting to see the sun.
我盯着窗外一连看了几个小时,等待着太阳的出现。
We were definitely still moving, and from what I could tell
we still seemed to be moving in some sort of orbit,
我们仍然在行进,根据我的观察,我们似乎仍然在某种轨道上运行着,
but without a planet below I have no idea why we kept the same pattern.
可我不明白,为什么在没有行星的情况下我们还能维持相同的轨道。
Regardless, the sun should have been visible sooner or later.
无论如何,太阳应该马上就要出现了。

After two days of waiting, I finally accepted
the sun and the moon had gone as well.
又等了两天之后,我终于认命了,太阳和月亮也不见了。

It wasn’t completely empty out there.
外面倒不是彻底的空无一物。
Far off in the distance I could still see stars twinkling.
我能看到,群星依然在远处闪烁着。
Probably long dead, but I knew that there
was nothing they could do to save me.
那些星星大概也早已死亡,而且它们对我的处境毫无帮助。

At some point on the first day, I remembered the camera.
第一天的某个时候,我突然想起房间里还有个摄像头。
I focused my attention on it and began to scream and shout for help,
我全神贯注盯着摄像头,大叫求救,
in the vain hope that someone might be watching
a feed of it and be able to make contact.
希望会有监视视频信号的人和我联系。
I cried and begged and pleaded with that camera for almost
four hours before I was suddenly struck by a terrifying thought.
我对着摄像头哭喊哀求了快四个小时,脑子里突然冒出一个可怕的想法。

I floated over to it and gently took hold of the cables
that were fed out from the back into the wall.
我飘向摄像头,轻轻握住摄像头的信号线。
I followed them along, looking for where the
connected the power or broadcasting apparatus.
我顺着线一路沿墙前进,寻找电源和信号发射器之类的东西。
What I found instead were a pair of neatly severed wires.
结果却发现,信号线早就被齐刷刷地切断了。

Transmitting nothing. Powering nothing. Connected to nothing.
没有信号传输。没有电力供应。没有任何连接。

The camera had never even been turned on,
and had certainly not been transmitting anything to Earth.
摄像头根本就没打开过,更别提向地球发射信号。
So what data had they been collecting?
他们究竟在收集什么数据?

I still have no idea the answer to that question, but I did
feel like I gained some small sliver of control back after
spending an all-too-brief hour smashing up the camera.
我把摄像头砸了个稀八烂,一个小时的时间飞快地过去了,虽然我依然
不知道他们在搞什么名堂,但至少感觉自己对事态多少又有了些掌控。

After that, it was time to break out the code
and get the door to the rest of the satellite open.
接下来,就是破解密码,打开门前往卫星其它地方的时候了。
I had decided that even if this somehow was simply a really elaborate
and convincing trick to examine reactions to certain stimulus in a test
environment, it was still far beyond what I had signed up for.
我心想,就算他们只是通过一些高级仿真手段测试人类在实验环境
下对某种刺激的反应,这也已经远远超出了我能接受的极限。
One way or another I decided I was getting out of this damned experiment.
不论如何,我下定决心,退出这该死的实验。

I opened the small safe that contained the passcode
document and easily broke the seal on its container.
我打开屋子里存着密码的小保险箱,然后轻而易举地打碎了盒子上的锁。
I was desperate to get out of that door as soon as
possible and took a few moments to memorize it.
我等不及想要打开那扇门,结果花了好一会儿才记住密码。

E109GHT8.

I can still remember it vividly as I entered that code
over and over in an attempt to get that locked door to open.
我现在依然清楚地记得,当时我一遍又一遍地输入密码,想把门打开。
Each time I painstakingly entered it with as much precision as I still had within me, and each time the password field read out what I had apparently typed in:
我用尽精力,尽可能精准地输入密码,可屏幕上显示我输入的却是:

“No one is coming”
“没人会来”

and the door remained closed.
那扇门一直没能打开。

And that was it.
完了。
I was trapped alone in a tiny room floating in space, deserted empty space.
我被困在这个小房间里,在空旷废弃的宇宙中漂浮着。
I had plenty of food and water so starvation wasn’t a danger,
but sometime in the first week the clock stopped working.
我有很多食物和水,倒是不担心饿死,可不出一个礼拜,时钟坏了。

With no timepiece and nothing left outside of the sun or moon
keeping any sort of time at all became utterly impossible.
没了钟表,又没有太阳和月亮作为参考,根本无法记录时间的流逝。
If I had to guess how long I spent in that strange exile,
I would say somewhere between three and six months.
要我猜的话,这段诡异的放逐大概持续了3到6个月吧。
But that is based solely on my eating and sleeping patterns,
但我的根据也仅仅是我的饮食起居习惯而已,
which were largely fueled by despair and
that quiet aching terror of being utterly forsaken.
而我的生活节奏早已被绝望支配,终日活在害怕被人彻底遗忘的无声恐惧中。
I couldn’t even read my books or watch anything as characters seemed
dead and lifeless, the emptiness of their artificial existence made plain to me.
我根本没法读书观影,因为在我眼中,所有角色都是人工制造的,没有一丝生气。

The hallucinations stopped.
幻觉倒是停止了。
I did not even get the comfort of company in my delusions, though
at some point the line between dreaming and reality seemed to blur.
我甚至无法得到幻觉的陪伴,后来,梦境与现实的界线开始模糊。
I’d be sleeping, strapped into my bed in the middle of the void,
有时我虽然捆好绳子睡在床上,深处太空的虚空中,
or at the same time floating through
ancient graveyards, or the open empty sea.
却发现自己漂浮在古老的墓场中,或是空旷的海面上。
They weren’t hallucinations, though they were dreams,
even if the cold did seem to seep out of them and into the bones of me.
那不是幻觉,而是梦境,但梦中的寒冷却深入骨髓。

I spent so long trying to get that door open, but nothing worked.
我终日想要打开那扇门,但用尽办法也不能如愿。
The mechanisms and electronics were not accessible from my side.
从这一侧碰不到机械设备和电子元件。
When I finally stopped trying it was the final abandoning of my hope.
最后我彻底放弃了希望,不再试图开门。
That was also when I noticed something else
that alarmed me in a very different way.
这时我发现一件事,让我从另一种角度感到心中一紧。

I did some calculations and realized that my food
and water levels did not seem to be depleting.
我做了一些计算,发现我的食物和水似乎并没有减少。
For all the time I had been there, in what I could now
only think of as my imprisonment, it did not seem like
there had been any significant change in my supplies.
我在这里呆了那么久,这个房间在我心中已经如同牢笼一般,可补给品却没有减少。
No one could be restocking me, because there was no one but me there.
不可能有人给我补充补给,因为这里只有我一个人。
The food remained static, then did that mean I could remain trapped
in this place for the rest of my life, assuming I even still aged?
食物丝毫不少,这是否意味着,我将在此度过余生,又或许我根本不会变老?

I began to very seriously consider the idea
that I had died, and this was Hell.
我不禁开始严肃考虑自己已经死亡,并且身处地狱的可能性。
Given that worry, the way I finally escaped it could be considered ironic.
在这样的忧虑之中,我得以脱逃的方式几乎显得有些讽刺。
I starved myself to death.
我把自己饿死了。
Well, not to death, I suppose, given I’m alive
enough to talk to you, but close enough.
嗯,显然我并没死,毕竟我现在还能跟你说话,但当时我已经濒死了。

I don’t know how long I just floated there strapped into my lonely
cocoon of a bed, refusing to eat or drink, waiting for the end.
我像作茧自缚一样,把自己捆在床上不吃不喝,这样等死不知等了多久。
After everything else, I had no guarantee it
was even possible for me to die but I had to try.
发生了这么多事,我都不知道自己还能不能死,但我必须试试。
When I finally faded from consciousness for what I hoped
was the last time, it was the greatest relief I have ever felt.
最终失去意识时,我希望自己再也不会醒来,这个念头让我感到一种前所未有的宽慰。

I don’t know exactly when I realized I wasn’t dead.
我不知道我是什么时候发现自己没死的。
There were various moments I faded back into consciousness
and I know that I felt the re-entry very hard.
我有好几次重新恢复意识,每次都痛苦不堪。
But it is difficult to pin down clear thoughts before the hospital.
但直到入院之前,我都没有任何清晰的思绪。

No one’s really given me an official account of what happened,
没有人就事情经过给过我正式解释,
aside from that it became known I was in serious danger of death,
只说代达罗斯号上的同事们后来知道我有生命危险,
and my colleagues on the Daedalus retrieved me, and managed
to keep me alive until the next opportunity to send me back down.
他们把我救了出来,保住了我的性命,一有机会就让我返回了地面。

I’m not pushing to know more, not really.
不过,我也不要求知道更多细节。
I know what happened.
我知道究竟发生了什么。
And no rational cover story that they could feed me is going to change it.
不论他们用什么话搪塞我,都无法改变事实。

I haven’t followed up with Conrad and as far as I’m
aware he hasn’t made any attempt to contact me.
我没有再联系过康拉德,据我所知,他也没有试图联系我。
I was paid in full though, which was a surprise.
不过我收到了全额报酬,这倒是出乎意料。

I wanted to tell someone what really happened
for almost a year before I found your Institute.
我早就想把事情的真实经过讲出来了,但隔了一年才知道你们这个研究院。
There’s nothing really to be done about it, I wanted to get it off my chest.
其实也没什么能做的,我只是不吐不快。

So thank you for letting me get it down on paper.
还是对你们说声谢谢吧,谢谢你们让我有机会把事情写下来。

ARCHIVIST
档案员
Statement ends.
叙述结束。

While there’s plenty of media coverage of the launch of the
Daedalus satellite in early 2007 by Stratosphere Group,
a consortium of various scientific and aerospace companies,
平流层集团由多家航天科技公司组成,2007年初他们将
代达罗斯号卫星送上太空,这件事有大量的媒体报道,
it seems the actual operation of the facility is guarded with
a great deal more secrecy by the various organizations involved.
不过这个项目的具体运作细节似乎被各个组织重重保密,不为公众所知。

Martin was able to confirm that during its two years
of operation it did have a total of three staff on board:
Yan Kilbride, Manuela Dominguez, and Mr. Chilcott.
马丁证实,该项目时间跨度长达两年,空间站确有三名成员:
严·基布莱德、曼努埃拉·多明格斯以及奇尔科特先生。

Beyond that, however, there’s little that can be
retrieved from beyond the wall of corporate bureaucracy.
然而除此之外,大公司层层叠叠的官僚机构已将其他细节尽数掩盖。
Tim was, however, able to get a list of the businesses involved in the venture.
不过,提姆还是搞到了该集团旗下公司的名单。

Three names stand out: Pinnacle Aerospace,
majority owned by the Fairchild family;
其中有三个让我在意的名字:由费尔柴尔德家族掌控的顶点航天;
a large private investment by Nathaniel Lukas;
一家隶属于纳撒尼尔·卢卡斯的私人公司;
and Optic Solutions Limited, a relatively benign-seeming company
manufacturing specialist cameras for research and industrial application,
以及看起来人畜无害的光学解决方案有限公司,从事生产研究及工业专用摄像机,
who are nonetheless notable for having their business
address listed as being in Ny Alesund in Norway.
但有一点值得注意,他们的办公地址位于挪威的新阿勒松(Ny-Ålesund)。

I fear, however, that’s as much digging as
I can do at the moment without drawing attention,
可我担心,在不引起注意的情况下,能做的调查不多了,
so it may be wise to let the matter drop.
或许暂且把此事放下不管才是明智之举。

End recording.
录音结束。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

[CLICK]
[按钮声]
NOT!SASHA
非!萨沙
John?
约翰?

ARCHIVIST
档案员
Um…
呃…

NOT!SASHA
What are you doing?
你干嘛呢?

ARCHIVIST
Sash – um, I can’t seem to find a new file for the Hill Top Road case.
萨——呃,我找不到山顶路事件的新文件了。
I thought I gave it to you to follow up on the children?
我记得我把文件给你了,让你追查那些孩子们的下落?

NOT!SASHA
You did and I gave it back.
是的,而且我已经把文件给你了。

ARCHIVIST
Ah, right.
啊,对的。

NOT!SASHA
Even if I hadn’t, I would very much prefer it if you stay out of my desk.
就算我没给你,也希望你不要翻我的桌子。

ARCHIVIST
Oh, of course, sorry.
噢,当然,抱歉。
I didn’t realize you were still here or I would have asked.
我没看到你,不然我肯定会问的。

NOT!SASHA
Of course.
当然。

ARCHIVIST
I’ll see if it’s with Tim then.
那我看看东西在不在提姆那儿。

NOT!SASHA
Also, John. I have asked before.
对了,约翰。之前我跟你说过的。

ARCHIVIST
What?
什么?

NOT!SASHA
Please don’t record our conversations.
请不要把我们的谈话录下来。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]
[CLICK]
[按钮声]
ARCHIVIST
档案员
Stupid. I thought Sasha had left for the evening.
太蠢了。那天晚上我以为萨沙已经下班了。
I wanted to have a look in her desk for anything
that might shed light on her recent weird behavior.
我本想翻翻她的桌子,看看能不能找到任何线索,解释她最近的奇怪行为。
I didn’t get much of a chance, but it all looked
normal, except there are a few scraps of torn paper.
我只看了两眼,内容倒是一切正常,不过,我注意到她那里有几张碎纸。
They could be from files or just torn scrap paper, it’s hard to tell.
或许是文件,也可能只是单纯的碎纸,无从判断。

I’m at a loss. Why she would want to destroy files, though?
我彻底没主意了。她为什么要销毁文件呢?


Still I think I probably need to back off from Sasha for a while after this.
总之,闹完这么一出儿,我最近得和萨沙保持距离了。
I’ll just keep an eye from a distance for now.
目前还是远距离监视比较好。

I did find several pictures of her and her new boyfriend,
though, which puts my mind somewhat at ease.
我倒是找到了几张她和新男友的合影,这让我稍微安心了一些。

Well, mostly.
只能说是稍微而已。
There’s something about him that doesn’t seem quite right.
她的男友,总觉得哪里不对劲。
Something about the smile, maybe.
也许是他的笑容有些怪异吧。

I, I mean they’re all pictures of Sasha and Tom,
as I’m told his name is, having fun together,
嗯,那些照片都是萨沙和汤姆一起玩的照片,哦对她告诉我他叫汤姆,
but – it’s hard to put into words, exactly,
but every one of them looks somehow like a stock photo.
但是——我也不知道该怎么说,就是觉得每张照片看起来都像是图库里的素材图片。

End supplement.
补充完毕。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]
TOP
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
 


Time is now: 2024-06-28, 02:14