Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

欢迎访问本站。游客仅能浏览首页新闻、版块主题、维基条目与资源信息,需登录后方可获得内容发布、话题讨论、维基编辑与资源下载等权限。若无账号请先完成注册流程。
 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [译]马格努斯档案馆#60 观察者效应, 马格努斯档案馆本次讲述一位电视记者的故事,她的生活在兄长去世后发生了一系列意想不到的转变…
贝克的小号
2023-04-13, 12:45
Post #1


名为赞福德的弹道学凝胶假人
Group Icon
 347
   62

Group: Avatar
Posts: 97
Joined: 2022-03-18
Member No.: 97525


马格努斯060 - 档案号 #9721207 - 罗莎·迈耶

讲述某种一直被人监视的感觉。

马格努斯档案馆本次讲述一位电视记者的故事,她的生活在兄长去世后发生了一系列意想不到的转变…
Attached Image
(Art By Winston Gambro)
档案员 - 乔纳森·西姆斯;伊莱亚斯·布查德 - 本·梅瑞迪斯;提姆·斯托克 - 迈克·勒博;马丁·布莱克伍德 - 亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔;非!萨沙 - 伊芙琳·休伊特
作者:乔纳森·西姆斯
导演:亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔
编辑: 亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔,迈克·勒博
翻译/字幕:赞福德Zaphod(贝克的小号)



2楼附文字版
TOP
贝克的小号
2023-04-13, 12:45
Post #2


名为赞福德的弹道学凝胶假人
Group Icon
 347
   62

Group: Avatar
Posts: 97
Joined: 2022-03-18
Member No.: 97525


马格努斯060 - 档案号 #9721207 - 罗莎·迈耶

讲述某种一直被人监视的感觉。

马格努斯档案馆本次讲述一位电视记者的故事,她的生活在兄长去世后发生了一系列意想不到的转变…

档案员 - 乔纳森·西姆斯;伊莱亚斯·布查德 - 本·梅瑞迪斯;提姆·斯托克 - 迈克·勒博;马丁·布莱克伍德 - 亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔;非!萨沙 - 伊芙琳·休伊特
作者:乔纳森·西姆斯
导演:亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔
编辑: 亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔,迈克·勒博
翻译/字幕:赞福德Zaphod

[CLICK]
[按钮声]
ARCHIVIST
档案员
Statement of Rosa Meyer, concerning a persistent feeling of being watched.
罗莎·迈耶的叙述,讲述某种一直被人监视的感觉。
Original statement given July 12, 1972.
原叙述时间:1972年7月12日。
Audio recording by Jonathan Sims,
Head Archivist of the Magnus Institute, London.
语音录入:乔纳森·西姆斯,伦敦马格努斯研究院档案馆馆长。

Statement begins.
叙述开始。

ARCHIVIST (STATEMENT)
档案员(叙述)
It’s still there, still watching me.
那东西阴魂不散,它一直在监视我。
There’s nowhere I can go, a place I can hide
that it doesn’t keep looking at me. I don’t know why.
我已无处可躲,世上没有能逃过它监视的地方。我不知道这是为什么。
No idea what it wants from me, or if it ever had any
plans beyond just staring from wherever it is hiding.
我不明白它想要我怎样,或许它就是想躲在暗处盯着我,仅此而已。
I can’t eat, I can’t sleep, it’s been months now, and it’s still there.
我已经几个月吃不下睡不着了,而它依然存在。

You can’t see it, I know.
你看不见它,这我知道。
I can’t see it either, but that doesn’t matter,
because it can see me. That’s what matters.
我也看不见它,但这不重要,重要的是它能看见我。
I can feel its gaze burrowing into the back of my neck.
我能感到它刀一样的目光钻入我的后脖颈。
Does it hate me? Does it just want me to keep living in fear?
I don’t know why this is happening to me.
它是恨我还是怎么着?或许它想让我在恐惧中度过余生?
我不知道这倒霉事儿为什么发生在我身上。

At first, I thought it was a person, some stalker who just kept hiding.
一开始,我以为对方是人类,是个躲着我的跟踪狂。
I had this thought that if I kept feeling something was
watching me, then it must be a person doing it.
我心想,我总有被监视的感觉,那监视我的肯定得是个人吧。
There must be someone following me.
It’s not like I haven’t had stalkers before.
我心想肯定有人在跟踪我。我也不是没被跟踪狂骚扰过。

I started to scan the faces of everyone I passed,
looking to see if I recognized them, if I’d seen them before anywhere.
后来我在街上遇到每个人都要多看两眼,到底认不认识,见没见过。
Did I recognize the man in the green overcoat from the bus this morning?
今天早上公共汽车上那个穿绿色大衣的男的,我认不认识?
Did that bike messenger loop around the road and pass me again?
那个骑单车送快递的是不是在路口绕了一圈,又在我面前经过一次?
No. They never did. Never. No one was following me.
不,这些人都没有蹊跷。没人跟踪我。完全没有。
But something was watching. It still is.
但有什么东西在监视着我。一刻不停地监视着我。

A strange thing is, it’s a feeling I should be used to.
I’ve been watched by people for years.
奇怪的是,我应该早就习惯这种感觉才对。我已经被人盯着看了很多年。
I present the Look East segment for BBC News
almost every day – well, I used to.
我是BBC新闻频道东望节目的主持人,几乎每天都站在摄像机前,嗯,应该说原来是。
(注:英国广播公司东部地区新闻节目名为BBC Look East,此处译为东望)
And on the other end of that camera, there were tens
of thousands of people, but I never felt it from them.
镜头对面有成千上万的观众,但我从没感受到观众的注视。
Sometimes, as I kept my eyes locked on that camera,
reeling off the latest string of burglaries, I tried to feel it,
tried to imagine all the people seeing me, watching me.
偶尔,我盯着镜头播报犯罪新闻时会在心里想象大众的目光。
Even then, even when I was trying, it was never more than a dead, empty lens.
但再怎么想象,眼前的镜头也不过是个死物件而已。
Maybe it’s just as well that I never felt it before.
或许,从前的我只是感觉比较迟钝吧。

I lost my job within two weeks.
我不到两个礼拜就丢了工作。
This feeling coming over me, I couldn’t concentrate, I couldn’t
look at the camera, I couldn’t read the dead, empty words on the page.
被监视的感觉铺天盖地,我没法集中精神,没法面对镜头,没法念沉闷空洞的新闻稿。
I ended up having something of an on-air breakdown.
最后我在直播当中精神崩溃了。
I guess it’s lucky you’re based in London, so you couldn’t have seen it.
还好,你们研究院在伦敦,肯定没看过那段直播。

I know the moment it started.
从一开始,我就察觉到了那种感觉。
Looking back, it all seems so arbitrary, like a switch suddenly
being clicked on, and all at once my life is destroyed.
回想起来,这一切就像拨动开关一样突然,我的人生毁于一旦。
It was three months ago, in April.
那是三个月以前的事了,当时是四月份。
I was doing inventory for some of my brother’s estate,
it was largely up to me to take care of it after his death.
我哥哥去世了,打理他房产、遗产的责任落在了我的肩上。
My parents were taking it very hard, and weren’t well enough
themselves to make the journey down to his small house
in Southampton to try and organize his meager possessions.
我父母悲痛欲绝而且身体不便,没法到南汉普顿
那幢小房子里去整理哥哥那点儿可怜的财产。

I suppose I wasn’t in a good place to begin with.
可以说,事情一开始就不太顺利。
You’re not meant to die of a stroke that young.
那么年轻的人,不该死于中风的。
I mean, he was only 38, and he wasn’t exactly
the healthiest, but it just seemed so unprovoked.
他才38岁啊,虽然身体算不上特别棒,但也不该无缘无故中风。
I’ve always been quite religious, and believed that things
happened for a reason, blessings ultimately came to the
virtuous and misfortune to the wicked, but now I don’t know.
我一直信教,坚信事出必有因,善有善报恶有恶报,但现在我不知道该信什么了。

Perhaps you could say that my curiosity
was the fault that brought this on me?
或许,我错就错在好奇心太重,才招灾惹祸?
But I didn’t open the box because I was curious, I opened it because
I had to in order to fully inventory my dead brother’s possessions.
但我打开那箱子不是因为好奇,而是为了梳理亡兄的遗产。
I honestly don’t think that’s a transgression. It wasn’t even
marked as special – no oak chests or triple-locked brass
boxes, just another brown cardboard box like any other.
我真不认为我的行为有任何越界。那也不是什么高贵的橡木箱子,
或是上了三把锁的铜箱,那只是个平平无奇,没有任何标记的棕色纸箱。

I don’t think that anything about it struck me as special?
我感觉那个箱子真的完全没有任何特别之处。
Looking back, I feel like it marked itself, that it drew my eye,
现在回想起来,那箱子好像不知怎的就吸引了我的目光,
and I would stare at it for longer than
the other boxes piled up around his house.
亡兄屋子里堆着很多箱子,可我却常常盯着那个箱子发呆。
The place was so quiet, a lonely testament to Christopher’s isolation.
那幢房子静的出奇,这倒是和克里斯托弗离群索居的生活如出一辙。
He’d never married, and there seemed to be nothing
in that dingy home that said he had any friends to speak of.
他一直没结婚,屋子里脏兮兮的,看来他也没有什么朋友。

In a lot of ways, it reminded me of my own life.
其实,从很多方面来说,这让我想起了自己的生活。
I have friends enough in Norwich, but no family except
Christopher and my parents, though I do have my reasons.
我在诺维奇有不少朋友,但论起亲戚,就只有
克里斯托弗和爸妈而已,不过我有自己的理由。
Still, looking through my late brother’s things led to the sort of reflection
that makes me uncomfortable, and I was drinking more than I normally would.
总之,整理亡兄遗物时泛起的思绪让我有些不舒服,酒也多喝了些。

It was my second day down there when I opened the box.
踏入那座房子的第二天,我打开了那个箱子。
I’d been going through all his old document boxes, and there were a lot.
亡兄有很多文件箱,当时我正在逐一翻看。
Christopher had worked for the history
department at the University of Southampton.
克里斯托弗生前在南汉普顿大学历史系工作。
I don’t know what he specialized in – we never really talked about his work
我也不知道他主攻什么方向,我们很少谈及他的工作,
– but based on what I found in his study, he’d written
a few books on the subject of ancient myths and fetishes,
不过在他的书房搜寻一番后,我发现他写过几本关于古代传说和物神的书,
(fetish此处指物神,即拜物教的崇拜对象。被视为具有神秘能力的物件,可为自然物,也可为人造物。)
those objects that were believed by various cultures to
have supernatural or religious power imbued within them.
当时许多文明都认为类似物品注入了超自然力量或者宗教神力。

His first book was on the holy cross of Christianity,
and how it operates as a fetish within our culture.
他的第一本书写的是基督教圣十字架,书里说十字架在我们的文明中就是一种物神。
This offended me a little bit – I was worried he was
trivializing a faith that, as far as I knew, he shared with me.
这让我有些不悦,我本以为他和我一样信奉基督教,没想到他却如此轻视信仰。
Still, I tried to read a chapter of it on the use of the cross in the
vampire myth, but it was very dry and, quite frankly, a bit dull.
但我还是硬着头皮读了一章,书里描写了十字架在吸血鬼
故事中的用途,可说实话,这本书实在是枯燥又无聊。
Most of the boxes were similar, full of notes and clippings
and bits of research that meant absolutely nothing to me.
其它箱子里的东西大同小异,都是些对我毫无意义的笔记、剪报和研究记录。
I put these aside to check with Angus Cartwright,
我把这些东西放在一旁,准备事后问问安格斯·卡特赖特,
one of Christopher’s colleagues who I had contacted
to have a look at what papers of his I couldn’t understand.
他是克里斯托弗的同事,我之前找他帮我看过一些我看不懂的论文。

Some of the boxes, however, contained what
I can only assume was practical research:
有些箱子里装的是实地考察的产物,至少我是这么认为的:
fetish objects and totems from all around the world,
从世界各地搜罗而来的物神和图腾,
small animal figures carved from bones, strings of
glass beads tied together in intricate knotted patterns,
有用骨头刻的小型动物雕像,有纷繁复杂串在一起的玻璃珠,
grotesque quasi-human statuettes made of wood and old leather.
还有用旧皮革和木头拼接而成的,似人非人的古怪雕像。
Some of them were more than a little bit unsettling,
but only one managed to send me spiraling into the place I am now.
有些物件真的非常吓人,而正是其中一样东西让我落到如今这般田地。

As I said, it was one of the last boxes I opened on the second day.
如我之前所说,那东西在我第二天最后打开的几个箱子之中。
It was late, and I had already made my way through most of a bottle of wine.
当时天色已晚,我手里那瓶酒也快喝完了。
The more I think about it, the more I think that
opening that box felt no different to any of the others.
现在越是回想,就越觉得那个箱子没有任何特别之处。
No odd feelings, no smells, nothing.
打开时没有奇怪的感觉,也没有特殊的味道,啥事都没有。
It was just a box empty of everything except a
single typewritten note and an old hand mirror.
箱子里只有一张印着字的纸条和一面旧手镜。

It lay inside, utterly innocuous. If it was a trap, there was no way to tell.
镜子放在箱子里,看起来人畜无害。如果这是某种陷阱,那我实在是看不出来。

I picked up the note first.
我先拿起了那张纸条。
The typing was neat, managed to be completely centered, even though
the paper seemed to be a scrap that had been torn from a larger piece.
纸条看着像是从哪儿撕下来的,但上面印着的字迹却十分清晰,而且完全居中。
It read, in all capitals:
上面用大写字母印着:

“BEHIND YOU.”
“在你身后。”

I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you how unsettling that was.
不用我说,你也知道这有多渗人吧。
I turned and looked almost before I fully understood what I had read.
我还没完全理解纸条的意思,就本能地转过身望去。
There was a window behind me, with the view of the street
below my brother’s study and the darkening sky above it.
身后是一扇窗子,透过窗能看见亡兄书房外的街道,和逐渐暗淡的天空。
There was nothing there though, nobody walking along the street,
no cars driving down it, nothing that seemed in any way out of place.
街上空荡荡的,没有人,没有车,没有任何出格的东西。

I looked back at the note, shrugged, and reached down for the mirror.
我又看了看那张纸条,耸了耸肩,然后又伸手去拿镜子。
It was a bit heavier than I’d expected, and under a thick layer of
tarnish the frame seemed to be gold, or at least gold-plated.
镜子比我预想的要沉一些,镜框已斑驳不堪,但好像是金的,至少也是镀金。
The glass itself was a bit grimy, but still seemed to be intact.
镜面虽然脏兮兮的,但却完好无缺。
I have no idea how old it was, or what period it might have been made.
我不知道这玩意有多少年头,也不知道它大概是哪个年代产的。
Though I searched the box thoroughly, I couldn’t
find anything that might explain where Christopher got it.
我把箱子翻了个底儿朝天,也不知道克里斯托弗是从哪儿搞到这面镜子的。

I looked in the mirror. I was a mess. Hair unwashed, eyes red
from crying, lips patchy stained and bruised purple from the wine.
我照了照镜子,形象不咋地。头没洗,眼睛哭红了,嘴唇上都是紫色酒渍。
I hadn’t really had any time to take care of or even
look at myself since I got to Christopher’s house,
我抵达克里斯托弗的这里后,根本没空儿打理自己,
and this ancient hand mirror really showed it.
拿起这旧镜子才知道自己现在是什么模样。

I sighed, shook my head, and prepared to check the next box
我叹了口气,摇了摇头,准备翻看下个箱子,
when the angle on the mirror shifted in my hand slightly, and I screamed.
这时手里的镜子稍稍偏了偏,我忍不住惊叫起来。
It now reflected the window behind me, and I could see a face staring in.
镜子映着身后的窗户,窗外有张脸,正盯着屋里。
It was dark outside, and it was almost entirely in shadow,
so I couldn’t tell you much about the features,
外面很黑,那张脸几乎完全淹没在阴影中,所以我看不清脸上的细节,
but he was huge, seeming to take up most of the window behind me.
但那张脸硕大无比,好像把整张窗户都占满了。
The only thing about it that I could see with any real clarity were the eyes –
我唯一能清楚明晰看到的,是它的眼睛
bright, shining, bulging eyes, with pupils so dark it made me feel
sick, drinking everything in, watching with a greedy intensity.
两只闪光、肿胀的眼睛贪婪地注视着周遭的一切,那漆黑的瞳孔我感到一阵恶心。
I could feel its gaze burning into the back of my neck, feel its unblinking eyes.
它的目光向刀一样锋利,让我后脖颈汗毛倒竖。

My muscles locked in sudden terror, and the mirror
tumbled out of my hand, spinning only once before
it hit the floor and shattered into a thousand tiny shards.
我全身一僵,镜子从手中跌落,转了一圈在地上摔个粉碎。

Seven years’ bad luck, isn’t it?
都说打碎镜子会迎来七年的厄运,是吧?
Maybe that’s it.
或许真的是这样。
Maybe I have to feel this horrid, aching panic of the eyes
I know are following me for seven years before they finally leave.
我知道这双眼睛一直在我背后,被它注视的恐惧和痛苦或许真的要跟我七年。
I hope not.
希望这不是真的。
But maybe even that’s wishful thinking.
或许七年都是我的痴心妄想。
Maybe this is now my life forever, and it will never, ever stop.
或许它会跟我一辈子,永不停止。

I’ve tried to think whether I’d be able to go on if that was the case.
如果真是这样,我都不知道日子该怎么过了。
I think I’d try, at least until my parents passed away.
也许我会咬牙活着,至少活到父母离世。
I couldn’t stand for them to lose both children.
家里只有两个孩子,我实在不忍心再让他们白发人送黑发人。

Obviously, that was when my real problems began.
然而真正的问题才刚刚开始。
I could write the face off as a brief but horrid hallucination,
我可以把那张可怕的脸当成是偶发幻觉,
but the feeling of being under constant scrutiny and
observation isn’t something I can explain away so easily.
但那种无时不刻被人观察注视的感觉就很难给出合理的解释了。
I’ve considered the possibility that I’m just going insane.
我想过,自己或许是疯了。
Being watched is not an uncommon symptom of psychosis or schizophrenia,
我知道觉得被人监视是精神病和精神分裂症的常见症状,
and I’ve been keeping an eye out for the
other symptoms, but in all other ways I feel fine.
于是我一直留心观察自己有没有其它症状,可我其它方面一切正常。
It’s true I’m finding it hard to concentrate, but that’s
only because I can’t sleep because they’re watching me.
我的注意力确实越来越难集中,但这完全是因为那东西一直盯着我,搞得我睡不着觉。
Those unseen eyes that hover everywhere and won’t let me rest.
那无形的眼睛无处不在,让我无法安眠。

I’m not mad, I’m sure I’m not mad.
我没疯,我确定我没疯。
I still have what’s left of the mirror. It’s just a bent gold frame now.
摔坏的镜子我还留着。只剩下摔弯的金镜框了。
I tried to have new glass put in, but the only eyes it showed were mine.
我往镜框里放过新镜片,但镜子里映出的只有我自己的双眼。

I did talk to Angus, though.
不过,我和安格斯谈了谈。
He seemed a little bit unnerved by the line of questioning I was pursuing
我的问题似乎让他有些害怕,
– or maybe just by how intensely I was asking the questions –
不过也可能单纯是因为我当时的语气太重了,
but he answered me.
总之他还是回答了我的问题。
He didn’t recognize the mirror, but a few years ago, Christopher was
looking into writing a book on the totems of what he called “outer cults”,
他不知道镜子的出处,但他记得几年前克里斯托弗
准备就他所谓的“外部教派”的图腾写一本书,
small organized groups of worshippers whose beliefs weren’t
simply deviations from paganism or other major religions,
他所说的外部教派,并非单纯的异教信仰,也不是主流信仰的旁支,
but seemed to focus on holy beings or concepts completely apart
from what would be considered normal religious practice.
这些教派侍奉的神明与教义和主流信仰大相径庭,宗教活动也很古怪。
Some seemed to have more in common with ancient shamanism than
with organized hierarchical worship, and all were highly secretive.
这些外部教派个个都是非常隐秘,他们不像是一般邪教,反而与远古萨满教更为相似。

Christopher had apparently collected several artefacts considered holy by certain of these sects, though I could find no details among his documents.
显然,克里斯托弗搜罗到了部分教派的圣物,但他的文档里没有相关记录。
Angus couldn’t be sure, but he believed that
the mirror might have been one such object.
安格斯觉得这面镜子应该也是其中之一,但他也不敢打包票。
Christopher had apparently abandoned the project
about a year before his death, choosing instead to
pursue a line of research into Inuit ceremonial carvings.
克里斯托弗死前一年放弃了这项研究,转为研究因纽特人的仪式雕文。

And here’s where we finally come to why I’m here.
接下来要说的,就是我来这里的原因。
Because Angus told me that my brother wasn’t researching alone.
安格斯告诉我,亡兄并非独自进行研究。

He had apparently logged several trips to
London in order to consult with your Institute.
他多次专程到伦敦与你们研究院进行商讨。
I don’t know why or what about, and no one here seems
to be able or willing to help me find out, but he was here.
我不知道他为什么而来,但他确实来过。你们这儿没有一个
人能告诉我事情经过,也不知道是不愿意说还是真不知道。
I’m not going to rest until I find out why. Not that I could rest anyway.
不把事情弄个水落石出我决不罢休。况且,以我现在的情况,想安歇也办不到。

Those eyes still haunt my dreams and follow
me through the waking world, even here.
那双眼睛萦绕着我的梦境,清醒时也亦步亦趋,即便在这儿也是如此。
Especially here.
在这里尤甚。

ARCHIVIST
档案员
Statement ends.
叙述结束。

A bit of an odd one, this.
这篇叙述确实比较特别。
The mid-to-late twentieth century seems
marginally better-filed than most of the archives,
相较其他时期,档案馆中20世纪中晚期文档的归档工作做得相对更好,
so we haven’t seen as many rogue statements cropping up from that period.
因此,来自这段时期的未归档叙述并不多。

Most of the details from Miss Meyer’s statement seem to check out
迈耶小姐叙述中的大部分细节都没问题
– Sasha got a confirmation from the BBC that she had indeed been one
of the anchors for the Look East Evening News between 1970 and 72,
萨沙从BBC处证实,1970到72年间,她确实是东望晚间新闻的常驻主持人之一,
until she suffered a nervous breakdown and
damaged several cameras in their Norwich studio.
后来她因为在工作中精神崩溃,以及损坏了诺维奇演播室好几台摄像机而离职。

Martin’s checking with the University of Southampton also
seems to confirm the details of Christopher Meyer’s life and death.
马丁也从南汉普顿大学处证实了克里斯托弗·迈耶的生平及死亡信息的相关细节。
I even tried to read one or two of his books, but they were a bit dry even
for me, and didn’t appear to have any particular relevance to the case.
我甚至读了一两本他的书,那些书似乎都与本事件无关,
而且就算是我都觉得其中的内容很无聊。

I’ve been unable to locate any evidence that he made
use of the Institute’s library or consultation services,
我没能找到他拜访过本院图书馆,或是曾来本院咨询的证据,
but even these days those records aren’t kept in as much detail as
they really should be, so that doesn’t necessarily mean he wasn’t here.
但即便是如今,相关记录的保存情况依然不尽人意,所以这并不能说明他没来过。

What’s most interesting is what Tim found out about the final two
decades of Miss Meyer’s life, before she died in prison in 1993.
迈耶尔小姐1993年在狱中去世,提姆查到了
她生命最后20年的经历,而这些资料颇为有趣。
Following the statement, she apparently spent
almost 12 years working low-level service jobs,
做出叙述后的12年间,她一直在做各种杂活。
until both her mother and father passed away
of cancer and heart disease respectively.
后来她的父母先后因癌症和心脏病去世。

There’s nothing notable about this period in any official records,
官方记录中,这段时期内没有任何值得注意的事件,
but on October the 24th, 1984 she murdered
a delivery van driver named Danilo Costich.
但在1984年10月24日,她杀害了一个名叫达尼洛·科斯蒂奇的货车司机。

She unloaded the van’s normal cargo of filing paper
and envelopes before filling it with several barrels of petrol.
她把车厢里的文件和信件清空,然后往车里泼了几桶汽油。
She was apprehended just south of Vauxhall Bridge
after she jumped a red light and collided with another car.
她驾车驶到沃克斯豪尔桥南部不远处,因闯红灯与另一辆汽车相撞,随后被捕。
Luckily, the petrol did not ignite and she was
picked up by police as she tried to flee the scene.
幸运的是,汽油没有起火,她试图逃逸,但被警方逮捕。

Originally charged with reckless driving,
起初,警方指控她危险驾驶,
it didn’t take long for them to connect her to the murder of Mr. Costich,
但没过多久当局就把她和科斯蒂奇先生的死串到了一起,
and she was given a sentence of 17 years in HMP Holloway.
最终她被判在伦敦霍洛威女子监狱服刑17年。
She died of pneumonia nine years later.
9年后,她因肺炎去世。

A bizarre and apparently motiveless crime.
她的犯罪行为可谓毫无动机,怪异至极。
The one detail that still nags at me is that the company
the Danilo Costich worked for, Paper Run Limited,
有个细节让我依然十分在意,那就是达尼洛·科斯蒂奇就职的公司,“书页流转有限公司”
is the same company that at the time supplied
most of the stationery to the Magnus Institute.
这家公司当时是马格努斯研究院的文具供货商。
I have a nasty feeling about exactly where she was taking that petrol.
我有种可怕的感觉,我好像知道那辆泼满汽油的车要去哪儿。

End recording.
录音结束。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

ARCHIVIST
档案员
You don’t mind if I record this, I trust?
我录个音,你不介意吧?

ELIAS
伊莱亚斯
Well to be honest–
嗯,说实话——

TIM
提姆
–that’s kind of one of the things we wanted to talk about.
——我们正巧要跟你聊聊录音这事儿,还有别的事儿。

MARTIN
马丁
This is an intervention.
我们要给你开劝说大会。

ARCHIVIST
Excuse me?
什么意思?

ELIAS
If you’d rather it was an official disciplinary hearing, John, we can arrange it.
约翰,如果你想让这变成正式的纪律听证会,我们也可以安排。

ARCHIVIST
Fine. Say your piece.
好吧。想说什么就说吧。

NOT!SASHA
非!萨沙
We care about you, John, and you’ve been
rather erratic since the Prentiss incident.
我们都很关心你,约翰,自从普伦蒂斯那事儿之后,你就一直怪怪的。

MARTIN
And we’d really like –
我们希望——

ELIAS
To not have to fire you.
希望不用炒了你。

MARTIN
To make sure that you’re doing okay.
希望你没事。

ARCHIVIST
Look, I understand I’ve been a bit… distant recently.
听我说,我知道最近我一直有些…疏离。

TIM
You were watching my house.
你监视我家来着。

NOT!SASHA
You followed me on my lunch break and searched my desk.
午休的时候你跟踪过我,还翻我桌子。

MARTIN
You said was I lying about a murder.
你说我有个谋杀案的事儿没说实话。

ARCHIVIST
I – that is to say – I –
我,这是因为,我——

NOT!SASHA
Do you think we killed Gertrude?
你觉得是我们杀了格特鲁德吗?

ARCHIVIST
No, it’s…
不是,是…

…maybe. Maybe you did, I don’t know –
…好吧,有可能。有可能是你们干的,我不知道——

ELIAS
John, this is absurd.
约翰,这太离谱了。
This goes far beyond an unhealthy work environment.
这都不能算是不健康的工作环境了。
I’ll admit it’s partly my fault for letting it get this bad, I should have started earlier.
我承认,事情发展到这个地步,我也有责任,我早就该干预了。

TIM
You still don’t believe us, do you?
你还是不相信我们,是吧?

ARCHIVIST
It’s not that I don’t believe you it’s just – I mean, you could have done it!
不是我相不相信你们的问题,而是—嗯,确实有可能是你们干的啊!

TIM
Seriously, listen to yourself.
拜托,你好好听听自己说的什么话。

MARTIN
You’re not right.
你这么说可就不对了。

ARCHIVIST
We’ve gone a long way beyond right, Martin,
马丁,这早就不是对或者不对的范畴了,
there are monsters out there, and I don’t know who or where they are
外面可是有怪物的,我不知道怪物是谁,也不知道怪物在哪
or if any of you – if you want me to trust you,
then I’m sorry, but I need evidence.
如果你们,如果你们想让我相信你们,很抱歉,没有证据我做不到。

ELIAS
Here.
你看看这个。

ARCHIVIST
And this is?
这是什么?

ELIAS
A copy of all the CCTV from the week Gertrude disappeared.
格特鲁德失踪那周所有的监视录像。
The police finally finished cleaning it up
and examining it, and returned a copy.
警方终于把录像捋了一遍,然后给咱们发了一份拷贝。

ARCHIVIST
There aren’t any cameras in the Archive.
档案馆里可没有摄像头。

ELIAS
But there are everywhere else. Including all of the entrances into the Archive.
但是其它地方到处都有摄像头,包括档案馆所有的入口。

And across all of the feeds, it provides a remarkably detailed
account of all of our movements over that week. Even yours.
这些录像详细记录了那个礼拜所有人的行动轨迹。包括你的。

ARCHIVIST
And you think this gives everyone an alibi?
你觉得这些录像可以证明大家都是清白的?

ELIAS
The police certainly do, but feel free to check it yourself.
反正警察这么觉得,你要是不信的话,可以随便查。

ARCHIVIST
Thank you. I will.
谢谢你。我会查的。

NOT!SASHA
And let’s have no more of this paranoia.
大家都不要再疑神疑鬼了。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

I’ve been examining the CCTV feeds Elias gave me.
我最近一直在查看伊莱亚斯给我的监视录像。
It… it does seem to provide everyone with a solid alibi,
and no one is seen entering or exiting the archives except Gertrude.
它…它好像确实能证明大家的清白,除了格特鲁德本人,没人进出档案馆。
At least not before Elias goes down and discovers the blood.
直到伊莱亚斯进入档案馆,发现一片血泊。

Gertrude’s own movements are somewhat erratic,
格特鲁德的行为则有些诡异,
and she seems to be in and out of the Archives at all hours of
the day and night, at some points looking rather disheveled.
她不分昼夜地频繁进出档案馆,有时甚至蓬头垢面。

That could stand closer scrutiny later but for now I… I can’t quite figure out whether this exoneration of my colleagues is more of a relief or a frustration.
具体细节可以以后再斟酌,如今我…我分不清同事的清白究竟让我感到宽慰还是沮丧。

At the very least it seems I have been… I have been rather unfair to them.
退一万步来说,我好像…好像给了他们不公正的对待。

I just hope they haven’t entirely lost respect for me.
我只希望他们还没有彻底对我失去尊重。

One thing that does nothing to ease my mind, though, is the
renewed significance this puts on the tunnels beneath the Archive,
有件事,让我依然不得安歇,这些录像再次证明档案馆地下的通道至关重要,
as it seems more and more likely that whoever or whatever
is living down there is the same thing that killed Gertrude.
看起来,在下面游荡的东西,不管它是人是鬼,很可能就是杀害格特鲁德的元凶。

End supplemental.
补充完毕。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]
TOP
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
 


Time is now: 2024-06-28, 01:45