Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

欢迎访问本站。游客仅能浏览首页新闻、版块主题、维基条目与资源信息,需登录后方可获得内容发布、话题讨论、维基编辑与资源下载等权限。若无账号请先完成注册流程。
 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [译]马格努斯档案馆#50 地基, 马格努斯档案馆本次讲述一位备受尊敬的建筑家的故事,他对自己曾经弟子的行为颇具微词,而这位弟子正是极具盛名的乔治·吉尔伯特·斯科特
贝克的小号
2022-08-07, 18:14
Post #1


名为赞福德的弹道学凝胶假人
Group Icon
 347
   62

Group: Avatar
Posts: 97
Joined: 2022-03-18
Member No.: 97525


马格努斯050 - 档案号 #8141206 - 桑普森·肯普索恩

讲述与乔治·吉尔伯特·斯科特设计的济贫院相关的建筑细节。

马格努斯档案馆本次讲述一位备受尊敬的建筑家的故事,他对自己曾经弟子的行为颇具微词,而这位弟子正是极具盛名的乔治·吉尔伯特·斯科特。

档案员 - 乔纳森·西姆斯;提姆·斯托克 - 迈克·勒博
作者:乔纳森·西姆斯
导演:亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔
编辑: 亚历山大·J·纽瓦尔,迈克·勒博
翻译/字幕:赞福德Zaphod(贝克的小号)



二楼附有未经排版的文字版 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

This post has been edited by 贝克的小号: 2023-05-29, 11:16
TOP
贝克的小号
2022-08-07, 18:17
Post #2


名为赞福德的弹道学凝胶假人
Group Icon
 347
   62

Group: Avatar
Posts: 97
Joined: 2022-03-18
Member No.: 97525


[CLICK]
[按钮声]
ARCHIVIST
档案员
Statement of Sampson Kempthorne,
regarding the workhouse architecture of George Gilbert Scott.
桑普森·肯普索恩的叙述,讲述与乔治·吉尔伯特·斯科特设计的济贫院相关的建筑细节。
Original statement given June 12th, 1841.
原叙述时间:1841年6月12日。
Audio recording by Jonathan Sims,
Head Archivist of the Magnus Institute, London.
语音录入:乔纳森·西姆斯,伦敦马格努斯研究院档案馆馆长。

Statement begins.
叙述开始。

ARCHIVIST (STATEMENT)
档案员(叙述)
Dear Jonah,
亲爱的乔纳,

It is my fondest wish that this message should find you in good health,
我衷心希望收信的你身体健康,
as I have heard more than one mutual acquaintance
remark on your current state of overwork.
我从不少朋友那里听说,近来你总是过度操劳。
While I earnestly hope it is merely idle gossip, my knowledge
of your character leads me to entreat that you allow yourself some respite,
虽然我希望这只是八卦闲谈,但以我对你的了解,我恳求你以身体为重,
or at the very least take some further secretarial staff into your employ.
或者,至少将一部分文秘工作分配给下属。
Certain uncharitable quarters would have it that your life
consists of little but rattling around an Edinburgh townhouse,
坊间流传着一些刻薄的流言,说你终日游荡在爱丁堡的别墅里,
surrounded by piles of ghostly accounts and lunatic documentation.
与成堆的鬼魂记事和疯人卷宗为伍。
Piles, I am afraid to say, to which I am about to make an addition.
恐怕,我即将给这些档案添加一个新的条目。

I would suggest you come visit with myself and Marianne as a diversion,
but if you were of a mind to do so, you must travel swiftly.
我建议你来舍下与我和玛丽安共度些时日以作消遣,但你若来,请轻装速往。
You see, we are shortly to depart for New Zealand,
there to start a new life, far from London and its workhouses.
是这样,我们马上就要搬到新西兰了,从此远离伦敦的工作,开始崭新的生活。
And it is this imminent departure that has had such a freeing effect upon my pen.
这即将到来的离别,让我下笔之时感到自由了许多。
For there are things I have seen which I feel
deserve a place among your asylum of letters.
因为,我曾目睹过许多在你的疯狂信件收藏中可占一席之地的事件。

They regard the works of my former assistant, George Gilbert Scott,
whose own architectural practice is now most respected.
这些事件与我的前任助理,乔治·吉尔伯特·斯科特有关,他的建筑作品现今备受尊重。
I have been fearful that accusations of slander
might dog me, were my tale to be set down,
此前,我十分担心背上背后嚼舌根、恶意中伤的骂名,
but with a boat to the new world beckoning,
and your sterling reputation for discretion,
但如今,我即将乘船远航前往新的世界,加之你向来以滴水不漏而闻名,
I feel it may at last be time to divest myself
of the disquieting scenes I have witnessed.
我感觉,吐露我所见之事的时候终于到了。

George came to me in 1834 from his engagement with
the office of Henry Roberts, where he was completing his training.
乔治于1834年结束在亨利·罗伯茨的办公室的学徒生涯,投奔于我。
Henry himself I have the greatest respect for, as he trained under
Sir Robert Smirke, who had received his knighthood not two years previous.
我对亨利敬仰有加,他是罗伯特·斯默克爵士的学徒,后者不到两年前刚刚获得爵位。
Henry was very effusive about the talents and prospects of young Mr. Scott,
说起年轻的斯考特先生,亨利对他的天赋和前途赞不绝口,
and was at great pains to inform me that his young protege also
received certain architectural tutelages from Sir Robert himself.
并且浓墨重彩地为我介绍到,他这位年轻的弟子曾在罗伯特爵士门下学习建筑造诣。

He said this with the oddest of looks, as though
there was some jolly secret between us.
说这话时,他的脸上挂着一种奇怪的表情,仿佛我们二人之间有什么愉悦的秘密。
I rather just nodded, as if to say I took his meaning,
and he left well enough alone.
我只是顺势点头,做出一副了然于胸的样子,他也就没再提及这事。
He even showed me George’s work on drafting
his plans for the Fishmonger’s Hall near London Bridge,
他甚至给我看了乔治为伦敦桥附近的鱼贩大厅所做的设计草图,
which had opened to great acclaim.
大厅开业后广受好评。
(鱼贩大厅是伦敦桥附近的二级保护建筑)
It certainly seemed clear to me that he would make a
fine assistant, at least for as long as I were able to keep him.
显然,只要我能留住他,他会是一个极佳的助理。

And so we began our brief collaboration, the subject of which was the
workhouse, a topic – as I’m sure you recall – very close to my heart.
于是我们短暂的合作便开始了,其项目是济贫院,想必你还记得我对此一直心心念念。
(济贫院又称济贫工厂,原意是为穷人提供工作和弱者提供生计
起源于《伊丽莎白济贫法》,硬件条件极为恶劣,劳动极其繁重
贫民望而却步,被称为劳动者的“巴士底狱”)
The plight of the poor and destitute has
been a national disgrace for far too long,
部分劳苦人民的贫困问题长久以来一直是国家之耻,
and when I was handed the task of designing them by the Poor Law Commissioners, it was an undertaking I embarked on with no small amount of zeal.
因此,济贫法委员会将济贫院的设计工作交付于我时,我对这份工作抱有极大的狂热。

My original designs were intended to assist in the easy segregation of
inmates by sex, age, or infirmity, with capacity and utility foremost in my mind.
我原本的设计着重于容纳量和功能性,可以将工人按性别,年龄和身体情况轻松分类。
I know many look on the workhouse with disdain,
calling it “the Pauper’s Bastille,”
我知道,许多人对济贫院嗤之以鼻,将其称为“穷人巴士底狱”,
and seeing very little distinction between the workhouse and
the prison, but this is a deeply myopic view to take.
他们认为济贫院和监狱相差无几,这种想法是十分短浅的。
The prison keeps its population for the safety and improvement of society at large,
监狱的目的是保障社会的安全和进步,
while the workhouse exists for the improvement of the inmates themselves.
而济贫院存在的意义则是提高工人的生活质量。
To criticize the conditions as harsh is to overlook the basic moral imperative of work itself,
抨击济贫院条件严苛无异于忽视工作本身的道德义务,
and I firmly believe that to dismiss the punitive as a valid form of
moral improvement is to consign many a poor soul to perdition…
并且我坚信,若拒绝将惩罚视为合理的道德提升手段,便等同于任由贫民自取灭亡…
but I digress, Jonah. I am so used to penning defenses of
my designs that it seems I can write little which does not do so.
我离题了,乔纳。我总是本能地为自己的设计辩解,落笔之时似乎也是如此。

It was in his assistance with these designs that George first began to show
those peculiarities of character that I would become so ill-at-ease with.
乔治辅助我进行这些设计时,我开始从他身上感到一些让人感到不自在的特质。
His process redrafting was… deeply unsettling.
他修改草图的方式…深深地让人感到不安。
He would spend hours in the office simply staring at the drawings, saying nothing, taking no food or drink, ignoring any inquiry or interruption.
他总是一言不发、不吃不喝地呆在办公室里,直勾勾地盯着草图,期间对其他人毫不理会。
Then, in a single move, he would gather up all the papers
and retire to his private office, locking the door behind him.
然后他会迅捷地收起所有稿件,回到自己的私人办公室中,然后把门锁死。

Then from the other side that firm oak door, I would
hear the strangest sounds, muttering and shouting.
接着,我能听到厚重的橡木门后传来奇怪的声音,那是他喃喃低语和高声叫喊的声音。
It was always in George’s voice alone. I could never quite discern the words.
屋子里只有乔治自己的声音。但我从来没法听清他究竟说了什么。
It often sounded as though he were in some great distress,
听起来,他似乎承受着某种巨大的痛苦,
and on more than one occasion I was within minutes
of summoning a constable to assist in breaking through the door,
不止一次,我几乎就要呼叫警察协助破门而入了,
when he would emerge, glistening from exertion
and holding completely redone drawings.
每当这时,他便会开门出现,脸上汗津津的,手里拿着改好的图纸。
I’m sure I even saw blood on his collar once.
我很确定,有一次我甚至在他的衣领上看到了血迹。

The designs themselves were little better.
那些设计本身也好不到哪去。
He would take the solid functionality of my original plans,
and remake them in all sorts of odd symmetries,
他总是把我原设计中踏实的功能性抹除,用各种诡异的对称设计代替,
which, while architecturally intriguing,
generally sacrificed many practical considerations.
这些设计虽然在建筑学层面上具有独特的吸引力,却大大牺牲了实用性。

He also, without fail, made everything closer.
而且,他每次都会缩减所有东西之间的距离。
Passageways would be narrowed, and sleeping quarters shrunk,
走廊变得狭窄,寝室也跟着缩水,
until a building designed to hold 300 paupers would
be remade to house almost twice that number.
最后,原本设计容纳300个贫民的建筑,容纳量竟然几乎翻了一倍。

As I mentioned before, I have no objection
to harsh conditions within the workhouse,
正如我之前所说,把济贫院的环境设计的严苛些,我没有意见,
to dissuade the idle from taking residence there,
这样才能阻止好吃懒做的人,
but the cramped plans that George would present me bordered upon
the claustrophobic, and I was generally unable to use them.
但乔治呈上的设计图已经触及了幽闭恐惧的范畴,让我往往无法采用。

Each time I told him so, his face would tighten
in momentary anger, and his lips would go white.
每当我对他说起这一情况,他总会咬紧嘴唇,脸上瞬间掠过愤怒的表情。
Then I would watch as he took that rage and discarded it, once again
becoming the genial, if somewhat serious, young man I had first met.
然后我便会目睹他压下怒气的过程,最后他又变成当初那个和蔼又有些严肃的年轻人。
It was an odd sight.
那景象真的是太奇怪了。

When his father died in 1834, it came as no great surprise
to me that he chose to resign from my service.
1834年,他的父亲逝世,他选择辞职,对此我并不感到非常惊讶。
He told me he considered it necessary to become the provider for his family,
他说,经过考虑,他认为自己有必要成为家庭的供养者,
though I have my suspicions he was also eager to
no longer have his designs subject to my scrutiny.
不过我怀疑,他也迫切地希望自己的设计不必再受到我的审阅。
I wished him well, naturally, but could not honestly say
I was not somewhat relieved by his departure.
我祝他一切顺利,这是自然,不过我也必须坦白,他的离开多少让我感到有些宽慰。

It was shortly after this I received an invitation to
a small social gathering hosted by Henry Roberts.
此后不久,我收到了一封邀请函,参加亨利·罗伯茨主持的社交聚会。
It was there that I met Sir Robert Smirke.
我在这次聚会上遇到了罗伯特·斯默克爵士。
He was a tall man, with sharp, almost saturnine features,
他个子很高,棱角分明,甚至显得有些阴沉,
and eyes that seemed to regard you in ratios, and pounds of raw material.
他看人的眼神,让人感觉他看到的都是比例和原料一类的东西。
He was polite and gregarious, but I found him difficult to talk to at length,
他性格外向,待人多礼,但我发现我很难和他进行长时间的交谈,
as he seemed to be forever further ahead in the conversation than I was.
因为他在对话中好像永远快我一步。
I could never be sure whether or not I was boring him.
我永远无法确定,我是不是让他感到无聊。

When I realized that George was not present,
and there was no sign of his imminent arrival,
我发现乔治不在场,也没有看到他即将来访的迹象,
I resolved to raise the matter with Sir Robert,
regarding what exactly his tutelage had entailed.
我决定向罗伯特爵士提起此事,询问他对乔治进行了怎样的辅导。
At the mention of the name “George Gilbert Scott,”
而当我提起“乔治·吉尔伯特·斯科特”这个名字时,
Sir Robert’s face flushed suddenly with anger,
in a manner not entirely unlike that of his protege.
罗伯特爵士脸上突然露出的愤怒表情与他的徒弟几乎如出一辙。

He asked me what my interest was in Mr. Scott, and I told him
that he had, until recently, been engaged as my assistant.
他问我为何会对斯考特先生感兴趣,我告诉他,直到最近,他一直是我的助理。
At this, Robert gave a small laugh of satisfaction, and told me
I did not realize exactly how lucky an escape I may have had.
听到这,罗伯特满意的轻笑了一声,然后说,我根本不知道自己侥幸躲过了什么灾。
I asked again what exactly his training had entailed,
我又问了一次,他对乔治的教导究竟是怎样的,
and Sir Robert stared at me for a silent minute
before he finally nodded his head.
罗伯特爵士沉默无言地盯着我看了一分钟,然后终于点了点头。

“Balance,” he told me. “Equilibrium.
The hardest thing for an architect to achieve.
“平衡,”他对我说,“与调和,是建筑师最难企及的。
Symmetry is easy, but does not, in and of itself, result in balance.
达到对称是一件很简单的事,但对称本身并不意味着平衡。
To stir the feelings of man, to create a small place
of being divorced from the rest of the world,
触动人的心弦,打造让人与世隔绝的一隅之地,
while still retaining that balance, is the true goal of the architect.”
与此同时还要保持平衡,这才是建筑的真正目标。”

I had never heard my profession talked off with such conviction and fire before,
我从没听过任何人用如此笃信而又热切地口吻描述我所从事的领域,
and I will not lie to you, Jonah: the look in his eyes when he spoke scared me.
我不骗你,乔纳:他说这话时那种眼神,让我感到害怕。

Without prompting, his tirade continued, and he began to
talk about George, about shortcuts and symmetry,
毫无预兆地,他开始滔滔不绝地说起乔治,捷径以及对称,
and a patron that the young fool did not understand.
以及一位这个年轻的傻瓜未能理解的赞助人。

I could follow very little of it,
他说的话我并不是很理解,
and it seemed to be decidedly removed from
anything that I would consider architecture,
罗伯特爵士似乎刻意避开了我所理解的建筑话题,
but whatever it was that Sir Robert had been teaching George,
但不论他对乔治究竟进行了怎样的教导,
it appeared the lessons had been put to less-noble use than he had intended.
听他的意思,乔治似乎偏离了他的本意,将他的教导用在了不那么高贵的领域。

It was at this point that Henry noticed Sir Robert’s
agitation from across the room,
这时,亨利从房间另一端看到了罗伯特爵士恼火的样子,
and came over to gently usher him away to the smoking-room.
他走过来,轻轻地招呼他到吸烟室去了。
He sent me a glance of mild reproach as he led his mentor away,
他将自己的导师带走时,瞥向我的眼神中略带愠怒,
and I was left standing there in the middle of
the room, utterly confused, and rather shaken.
我独自一人,毫无头绪地站在原地,深感不安。

I resolved to avoid where possible having anything further
to do with George, and continued with my own works.
我决定继续做自己的工作,尽可能不要与乔治有进一步接触。
I heard he had set himself up with construction
of workhouses according to his own designs.
我听说他开始联系建造由他设计的济贫院。
He had taken on a partner by the name of William Bonython Moffatt,
他开始和一个叫威廉·博尼松·莫法特的合作,
a builder’s son with no moral character to recommend him of any sort.
这人的父亲是名建筑工,而他本人则毫无道德品质可言。
They vigorously canvassed several district guardians, and managed
to acquire several commissions that had previously been mine.
他们不遗余力地拉拢了几个分区管理员,把好几个原本属于我的项目挖走了。
Needless to say, I was rather taken aback by this utter lack of professional etiquette.
不必说,我对于这种毫无职业风范的行为大感震惊。
But I was not without other projects, so I endeavored to ignore it,
但我手头不乏其它项目,于是我尽力忽视他的所作所为,
and leave him to whatever squalid internments he cared to build.
让他随意去建造那些他所中意的肮脏监狱。

It was in September of ‘36 that it happened, shortly after
George and Moffat had finally opened the first of their workhouses.
事情发生在36年9月,当时乔治和莫法特的第一座济贫院刚开放不久。
I didn’t realize that was what had happened until afterwards,
ensconced as I had been in my own work.
醉心于工作中的我后来才知道有这回事。

Darkness had fallen, and still I was busy, lit by the reassuring glow of a dozen candles.
那时天色已黑,我依然忙碌于工作中,全靠十几支蜡烛照明。
There was no clock in the workshop, a deliberate choice,
to stop the lateness of the hour disturbing me,
我的工作室中特意没放钟表,免得我被时间概念打扰,
but I suspect it to been somewhere past midnight when I heard them.
但我怀疑,我听到那些声音的时间,应该是午夜之后不久。

Footsteps. Heavy, thudding footsteps, and the click-clack of a sturdy cane.
脚步声。沉重的脚步声,还有坚实的手杖触地的嗒嗒声。
My assistants had locked all the doors when they left for the evening,
我的助理们晚上下班时把所有的门都锁好了,
and through the silence of my study, I could not
have missed the sound of them opening again.
书房中一片寂静,如果有人开门,我不可能听不见。
To my dying day, Jonah, I will aver that no one entered
the building before I heard the footsteps approach.
直到我去世的那一天,乔纳,我都敢断定,在我听到脚步声之前,楼里绝对没有人。

As their heavy tread grew closer, and the clack of that cane struck louder,
脚步声越来越近,手杖的声音也愈发清晰,
with a quiet malice, I heard another sound beneath them: the jangle of keys.
充满恶意的寂静之中,我又听见了另一个声音:钥匙的哗啦声。

I have never in all of my life been possessed by such a fear as I was then.
我这辈子从没有过当时那种被恐惧支配的感觉。
The walls and floor seemed to rise towards me, stealing the air from my lungs
墙壁和地板似乎都向我扑来,把胸口的空气都挤走了
until I swear that I could feel the splinters from
the ceiling digging into the soft skin of my face.
我发誓,最后天花板上的木屑都扎进了我的脸,
I couldn’t move as the thudding boot tread came to a halt
outside the door, and the cane came to rest with a final clack.
脚步声来到门外后戛然而止,手杖也最后一次敲在地板上,我瘫坐在原地动弹不得。

I waited.
我等待着。
I waited to have the last vestiges of life squeezed from me by whatever this was.
我等待着我的生命被这个不知来由的东西彻底摄取的那一刻。
I don’t know how much time passed.
我不知道究竟过了多久。
And then, as though suddenly sloughing off
a heavy cloak, the weight fell from me.
然后,如同脱掉一件沉重的斗篷一样,我身上的重量消失了。
The room returned to its natural proportions, which is to say,
房间也变回了原来的样子,也就是说,
it… never truly changed. I think.
房间…根本从未改变。我是这么认为的。
It is hard to describe exactly, Jonah, so you will forgive my vagaries.
具体情况真的很难描述,乔纳,所以请你原谅我飘忽的用词。

I rose to my feet and, in a moment of foolhardy bravery
that I doubt I shall ever truly understand,
我站起身,一瞬间心中迸发出一种或许我终生都无法理解的愚勇,
I grabbed a candle and ran to the door, flinging it open.
我抓起一支蜡烛,跑到门口唰的一下打开了门。
I saw a figure walking away, through the door to one of the clerks’ offices.
我看到有个身影正在穿过通往文员办公室的门。
It was short and wide, and I could see the wood
of the floor bow beneath its huge boots.
那身影又矮又胖,我注意到木地板都被它巨大的靴子压弯了。
It wore a tall black hat, and only the thinnest
wisps of gray hair were visible below.
它戴着一顶黑色高帽,帽檐下露出几缕依稀可见的灰发。
In its coarse, ruddy hand it held a hard-worn black cane, tipped with iron.
它粗糙、发红的手中握着一支黑色的老旧手杖,杖尖被铸铁包裹。

Then the door closed behind it, and it was gone.
然后它关上身后的门,不见了。
I followed into the room behind it, but it was empty.
我追着它来到门后的房间,可里面空空如也。
There was no sign of the man, or whatever
it was, that had gone in before me.
先我一步进屋的男子,也或许那并不是人,总之丝毫不见它的踪迹。
The window was sealed, and there was
nowhere for someone of that size to hide.
房间的窗户都是密封的,它那硕大的体形无处可藏。
Still, I searched.
不过,我还是搜寻了一番。
I wasn’t sure what else to do.
我不知道除此之外还能做什么。
Even the heavy bootprints seemed to have vanished.
就连那些沉重的脚印似乎都消失了。

What I did manage to find, however, fallen behind one of the writing desks,
不过,我还是在一张桌子后面发现了一样东西,
was one of George Gilbert Scott’s workhouse designs.
那是一张乔治·吉尔伯特·斯科特笔下的济贫院设计图。
There is, of course, no way to be certain of
any connection between the two events,
当然,这无法证明两者之间有任何联系,
but that did little to quell the scalding rage
in my breast as I strode out of my door the next morning.
但第二天早上我大步出门时,胸口依然怒火中烧。
I took a cab to George’s office,
我叫了一辆马车前往乔治的办公室,
where I was informed that he was at his
workhouse site with Moffat, and took another cab.
到了那儿才知道他和莫法特在济贫院的施工现场,于是我又叫了一辆车。

I found the site in a state of some commotion,
施工现场似乎发生了一些争吵,
with my former assistant standing next to a high stone wall,
arguing with a labourer, who seemed quite distraught.
我的前助理站在一堵高大的石墙旁,和一个工人吵得不可开交,后者看起来心事重重。
He was gesturing wildly at an area of the wall, while another man,
who I assumed to be Moffat, tried to calm him down.
工人正对着墙壁狂乱地挥舞着双手,旁边有个人在安抚他,我猜那就是莫法特。

As I approached, I began to make out what the labourer was saying.
我走近后才听清那个工人在说什么。
He was asking after someone he referred to as “the governor.”
他在打听“总督”在哪里。
While Moffat was trying very patiently to explain that
no governor had yet been appointed to the workhouse,
莫法特耐心地解释道,官方还没有为济贫院指派总督,
the labourer didn’t seem to be paying this point much mind.
工人似乎对他说的话不以为意。
He kept repeating that the governor had come to see Harry.
他反复地说着,总督来见哈利了。
He did not say who Harry was, but I assume an acquaintance of his.
他没说哈利是谁,但我想八成是他的熟人。

He said he knew it was the governor because of the jangle of his keys.
他说他知道那肯定是总督,因为他听到了钥匙的当啷声。
He said that the governor had called Harry “idle.”
他说总督说过哈利在“偷懒”。
It was at this point I was finally close enough to see
the wall he was pointing at with such excitement.
到这时,我才看清让他情绪激动,指指点点的墙上,究竟有什么东西。
At first, I thought they were worms, small and pale against the brickwork.
起初,我以为砖头上那些细微的小白点是虫子。
But as I got closer I saw them clearly.
离近之后我才看清楚。
Extending from the unblemished solid stone
of the workhouse wall were four fingertips.
从济贫院平整坚实的墙里探出来的,是四根手指的指尖。
The labourer repeated it again: the governor had called Harry “idle.”
工人又说了一次:总督说哈利“偷懒”。

I returned George’s documents and left.
我将乔治的文档退还后就离开了。

I trust you will understand now, Jonah, why I have been
avoiding the company of my fellows these last few years.
乔纳,我想你现在一定理解,为什么过去几年我一直对各路同伴避而不见了。
I have always been reluctant to make any notation of my story,
我一直不愿让这段故事为人所知,
but now that I finally have everything prepared for my move to New Zealand,
I would feel like I had slighted you, had I left without sharing my tale.
但如今我已做好前往新西兰的准备,如果还把你蒙在鼓里,心里倒是觉得过意不去了。
Do with it as you will; I am done with it.
如何解读这个故事在你;我已经受够了。

Sincerely yours,
你诚挚的,

Sampson Kempthorne.
桑普森·肯普索恩。

ARCHIVIST
档案员
End statement.
叙述结束。

Obviously, trying to trace disappearances and deaths in
Victorian workhouses is an exercise in futility, so I’m loathe to even try.
显然,追查维罗利亚时期济贫院中的失踪死亡案件纯属浪费时间,我连查都不愿意查。
More importantly, who is Robert Smirke?
更重要的是,罗伯特·斯默克究竟是何方神圣?
I have read every book I can find on the man, which is, admittedly, not many,
和他相关的书,每本我都读过,诚然,涉及到他的书并不多,
and none of them show any sign of this other side to him,
apparently at the heart of strange buildings and architecture all over London.
没有任何一本书触及到他的另一面,位于遍布伦敦的各类诡异建筑核心的一面。

And now what? Students, apprentices?
而现在又扯上了他的学生和徒弟?
If Henry Roberts was a student of some sort of paranormal construction methods, it doesn’t appear to show up in any of his buildings
就算亨利·罗伯茨从他那里学到了某种超自然建筑学,他设计的建筑中也毫无体现
– save perhaps for Fishmongers’ Hall,
也许只有鱼贩大厅除外,
which he designed along with Sir George Gilbert Scott
for the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers in 1834.
那是他携手乔治·吉尔伯特·斯科特爵士在1834年为虔诚鱼贩公司设计的。
(伦敦市鱼类和海鲜销售商的注册公会。该公司在
城市畜牧业公司中排名第四,十二大城市畜牧业公司之一)
It is reportedly a hotbed for low-key hauntings,
but nothing of the magnitude we’ve heard from others.
据传那里一直闹鬼,但都是小打小闹,远不及我们听闻的其它事件。

Scott is concerning, however.
然而,斯考特让人感到十分担心。
While Smirke seems to have built a
handful of notable buildings around London,
乍看之下,斯默克在伦敦周遭设计过一众引人注目的建筑,
Sir George Gilbert Scott is responsible for landmarks
such as Saint Pancras Station, the Albert Memorial
而乔治·吉尔伯特·斯科特爵士则是圣潘克拉斯火车站、阿尔伯特纪念亭的设计人,
and the restoration of Westminster Abbey.
也是威斯敏斯特教堂修复工程的主持人,这些都是伦敦的地标性建筑。
If his buildings have similar quirks, then…
let’s be honest, I don’t know what that would mean.
如果他的建筑也有类似的特质,那么…实话实说,我不知道这意味着什么。
But I doubt it would be good.
但我怀疑,肯定不是好事。

That said, there have been no reports of any sort of paranormal or
supernatural disturbance in any still-standing building designed by Scott.
话虽如此,并无与斯考特现存建筑相关的超自然现象或灵异事件记录在案。
That should made me feel better, but somehow it doesn’t.
这一点本应让我感到宽慰一些,但不知为何,我没有这种感觉。

End recording.
录音结束。

[CLICK]
按钮声
[CLICK]
按钮声
ARCHIVIST
档案员
– I, I’m sorry?
不、不好意思?

TIM
提姆
Are you in trouble?
你遇到麻烦了?

ARCHIVIST
I’m not sure what you mean.
我不明白你什么意思。

TIM
Well, there was a policewoman asking after you.
嗯,有个女警察来找过你。
You know, the one who came to look into Gertrude.
就是那个来调查格特鲁德案件的警察。

ARCHIVIST
Basira. Where is – when was this?
巴西拉。她在…这是什么时候的事?

TIM
Uh, yesterday. You were physical therapy.
呃,昨天。当时你在做理疗。

ARCHIVIST
Did she say why?
她说她来这里有什么事了吗?

TIM
No. It was a bit weird, really.
没有。说起来,事情有点怪。
I’ve seen her around here a few times before actually.
其实,之前我就见她来过好几次了。
I, um. I don’t trust her.
我,嗯。我觉得不能相信她。

ARCHIVIST
Sorry, what?
不好意思,为什么?

TIM
Well, I asked if she had anything new to
report on Gertrude, and she just said no,
嗯,我问她格特鲁德的案件有没有进展,她说没有,
and then mumbled a question about when you’d be back.
然后她嘟嘟囔囔地问我你什么时候回来。
Then she left.
然后她就走了。
It was weird. She’s weird.
事情很诡异。她也很诡异。

ARCHIVIST
You don’t have a problem with the police, do you, Tim?
提姆,你不会是对警方有意见吧?

TIM
Well, you do know I’m the finest cat burglar in all of Bromley.
嗯,你也知道我是全布罗姆利最厉害的飞贼。

ARCHIVIST
Tim.
提姆。

TIM
Okay, so seriously, I don’t get why she keeps
coming back ‘round here outside of the investigation.
好吧,不开玩笑地说,我不明白她为什么放下手头的调查,三天两头往我们这里跑。

ARCHIVIST
She’s, uhhh.
她,呃。
I’m, I’m helping her with some of the investigation.
我、我正在协助她进行调查。
Off the record.
不记录在案的那种。

TIM
Oh.
哦。

Ohhh.
哦哦噢噢噢。

Say no more!
不用说了!

ARCHIVIST
Tim, wh-what are you –
提姆,你、你是—

TIM
Don’t worry, I’m cool.
别担心,我没意见。
Good work, boss.
干得不错,老大。

ARCHIVIST
Oh! No, Tim, that’s not what I
哦!不,提姆,事情不是
– it’s really not like that –
真的不是你想的—



TIM
I’ll go see if I can dig anything else out on Scott,
我看看能不能挖到其它有关斯考特的情报,
and I’ll let you know if she comes back.
另外如果她再来的话,我会跟你打招呼的。

ARCHIVIST
That really isn’t what –
真的不是—

End supplemental.
补充完毕。

[CLICK]
[按钮声]

This post has been edited by 贝克的小号: 2022-08-07, 19:52
TOP
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
 


Time is now: 2024-06-28, 01:52